ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: overwhelmed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:59 pm 

I was diagnosed with genital warts about three weeks ago and I had my first cryo treatment last week. And I am feeling super overwhelmed by everything right now. Things such as whether or not I should risk having kids and whether or not I am going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life.

It's also bothering me that when I had my pap smear last year I had to have two (actually 3 I think because the second time I had it done my gyno took two swabs). The first test came back abnormal, the second came back normal and the one that I had this year also came back normal. The thing that's bothering me is that when I had my second one done my gyno told me that I had a growth down that could have caused the abnormal results. Yes, that should've alerted me to something was wrong, but she said it almost like it was nothing. And that's all she said. She did not mention testing or trying to treat it. She did not even mention that it was genital warts. Luckily, I do have a new gyno.

I know I'm probably overthinking everything (I usually do). However, I am still very scared right now and I do feel overwhelmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi there and thanks for posting,

Feeling overwhelmed is not uncommon following an HPV diagnosis, and there are sure to be many, many questions that seem difficult to answer, we know. Hopefully this board will be a source of information and support for you.

Genital warts are linked with "low risk" HPV types that don't cause cervical cancers and rarely pose a problem with child bearing ("high risk" HPV types also don't commonly lead to cancers or fertility issues). While HPV does persist in some cases and recurrences certainly do happen, most people's immune response is able to suppress/clear the virus over time so that long-term problems are rare.

It isn't clear if your healthcare providers think the abnormal Pap test was due to HPV, or something else. Women have abnormal Paps for many reasons, and some results from these tests are more strongly suggestive of the presence of HPV than others (Paps aren't direct HPV tests). Abnormal Paps, even those related to HPV, often self-resolve but follow up exams are important. Ask your provider to help sort out possibilities and to guide you about next steps.

I hope this helps, and please post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]