ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:26 pm 

I posted on here about a month ago, and have done a lot of reading up since then.
I finally was able to get some sort of clear answers and think my doctors really messed up on letting me know what I need to know.
I had an abnormal pap a year ago in October and went back in Feb 09 for a colposcopy. Everything came back fine. What I didn't know until yesterday is that back then I had a high risk form of HPV but apparently it cleared by Feb. I was so angry with me doc because he NEVER mentioned the word "HPV" to me and I didn't even know that I had it.
From a previous post on here, months ago I was having a lot of female problems and finally had a vulvar colposcopy done-she found abnormal tissue and I had a biopsy.
I asked her if the abnormal tissue was GW and she said no. But it is HPV.
Then I asked her if there were any tests to tell me what type it is.
I havent had any visible signs of GW in my life or since my last sexual encounter 5 months ago. But she put me on Aldara and said that it would boost my immune system and get rid of the abnormal tissue.
I go back for another pap and recheck at the end of this month,oct., to see whats going on still.
-What's the straight up info on testing for what strain of HPV it is?
-Do you have to wait until you get visible GW to know that's what it is?
And of course I have met and started seeing someone...so I REALLY need info because I don't have clear info to tell him if it ever progresses to that point. There's no way I could not tell him. Feeling very distraught about the whole deal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi again rustedwings,

Sometimes high-risk types of HPV cause abnormal areas of the vulva, just as they can with the cervix. I'm not sure if this is what is happening with you, but the condition is known as vulvar interepithelial neoplasia, or just VIN, and you can ask your doctor to clarify it for you. VIN is usually not dangerous and can resolve without treatment. A typical approach is to have frequent follow-up exams where they keep an eye on things.

There's no test approved for clinical use to figure out exactly which type of HPV one might have, other than one that's sometimes used to see if HPV 16 or 18 is present on the cervix. This isn't something that's usually done with vulvar cell changes.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for soon. Please keep checking in to let us know how things are going.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]