ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: OT: smoking
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:34 am 

i'm a smoker and have been for almost 5 years now, i always vowed that i would quit when i got pregnant...never thought "hey, i'll quit when i get HPV"

any suggestions/tips/tricks to quit smoking? i've tried cold turkey and i was a serious basket case within 22 hours (yes, i counted!) any help would be much appreciated!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 pm 

I've never smoked, so not sure I can help you too much. Have you thought of looking into something like the patch? Maybe talk with your regular Dr about any kinds of treatments that can help wean you off of cigarettes. I don't know what you may or may not like vegatable wise, but maybe when you crave a cigarette, go reach for like a carrot stick. Have you ever found youself engrossed in something for a period of time that has kept you from lighting up? Be it a game, puzzle, reading, etc.? Perhaps find activities that can help be a replacement. Are you a stress smoker? My mom is. Like when she's driving, and the traffic just ticks her off. She lights up. After a meal, she lights up. Maybe figure out the moments when you light up the most, and see if there's something else you can replace a cigarette with. Find other ways to relieve stress. Maybe a stress ball to squeeze...get home and treat yourself to a soothing bubble bath...meditation...etc..

Again, it's easy for me to post something like as I've never smoked. Hopefully you can find ways to get off the ol' ciggies. Like I mentioned, maybe your Dr will have some suggestions as well. Something other then "cold turkey". :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]