ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:08 am 

Hi all,

This board has provided so much good information. Thank you to the moderators and to those who post their experiences!

About two hours ago, I had my LEEP procedure completed. Since I'm typing, I'm obviously feeling well (period-like cramps) but the procedure was fast and relatively painless.

I'd had abnormal paps for about 17 months; HPV was also officially diagnosed. Since I told my doctor that I might be relocating, and due to my abnormal paps, he agreed the LEEP was a good course of action.

Few questions:

1. Are there any statistics about the LEEP's effectiveness -- not only in removing the lesions causing abnormal paps but also in helping to rid the body of HPV? In other words, can a LEEP 'nudge' the body's immune system to rid it of HPV?

2. My doctor cited how common HPV is, and yet, I wonder why my immune system couldn't battle this. I eat well, exercise and generally have always thought I had a good immune system. I've read that head/neck cancers and other gynecological cancers can be caused by HPV. Should I be having other tests to ensure this hasn't spread beyond my cervix?

3. Is it common to have follow-up LEEPs?

4. Finally -- the most important question perhaps -- prevention! I am not yet married, and most certainly will have at least one more partner. How likely is it that a future partner can re-infect me? I feel like I've gone through this procedure and don't ever want to have to do it again. I know that condoms are not 100% effective and that HPV is generally not detectable in men. I'm optimistic that LEEP will help rid my body of this, but what am I to do in the future?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi WTR,

Good to hear from you, and glad you're doing well.

1. Are there any statistics about the LEEP's effectiveness -- not only in removing the lesions causing abnormal paps but also in helping to rid the body of HPV? In other words, can a LEEP 'nudge' the body's immune system to rid it of HPV?

LEEP involves using a thin wire loop - through which current is briefly passed - to remove tissue. I mean, it works in getting rid of what they can see and the instrument can access. I don't know if it does anything to provoke an immune response; I've heard that freezing (cryotherapy) can do that because it leaves a reservoir of HPV behind in cells that are treated.

2. My doctor cited how common HPV is, and yet, I wonder why my immune system couldn't battle this. I eat well, exercise and generally have always thought I had a good immune system. I've read that head/neck cancers and other gynecological cancers can be caused by HPV. Should I be having other tests to ensure this hasn't spread beyond my cervix?

3. Is it common to have follow-up LEEPs?

That depends on whether or not the abnormal cells return, if they persist, if they require treatment, and, if so, if LEEP is the appropriate treatment. I don't know how many women need follow up treatment; I suspect it's a minority.

4. Finally -- the most important question perhaps -- prevention! I am not yet married, and most certainly will have at least one more partner. How likely is it that a future partner can re-infect me? I feel like I've gone through this procedure and don't ever want to have to do it again. I know that condoms are not 100% effective and that HPV is generally not detectable in men. I'm optimistic that LEEP will help rid my body of this, but what am I to do in the future?

You probably don't need to worry much about reinfection with the same HPV type, but there are others against which this infection will provide little or no immunity. There's not a lot you can do here, really. Condoms are pretty effective at protecting women against HPV, but as you say not 100% and, honestly, few couples will use condoms forever.

This does point to why it's important for you (and almost every other woman) to have regular Paps (with or without HPV testing) over most of your lifetime.

Keep in touch.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]