ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laser Treatment
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:16 am 

It's coming up to a year now having GW....FUN!

So i'm scheldule to have laser treatment in a week to get rid of these life killers. Nothing else has been working.

Has anyone done laser before? and what should i expect?...pain level?..healing?

I'm very scared about this...My doc is putting me under for this, which i hate.

I just really hope this can be all over with my christmas please!!!

good news is i have 5 weeks off work....give me time to de-stress and focus on yoga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi again!

Wow, five weeks off? You can really do some major destressing and relaxing, and sounds like you need and deserve it.

Recovery after laser depends in part on how many warts were removed, how much surface area they covered, and so on. How are you doing?

Fredo

Post subject: I've has laser treatment
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:36 pm 

Last year right around now I had laser surgery. I was completely put out. I had very small areas treated and really have no recollection of discomfort. If there are external lesions, of course peeing may sting. One great thing was I was in a winter wonderland coming out of the anesthesia-- there was holiday music playing, i was a little loopy and all warm and tucked in. It was super relaxing and ironically got me into the holiday spirit!

Wait, I just remembered one thing...after surgery you will wind up with a gigantic maternity style pad between your legs. There aren't any underwear involved and I remember having to waddle over to the toilet across the room (they make you pee before you leave, so if you're feeling fine peeing sooner will get you out of there sooner). I was worried about the pad falling onto the floor, but I did make it to the bathroom without that happening, albeit walking rather ridiculously.

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:08 pm 

Well I was hoping this would all be over this year, but i guess not.
The laser went fine, being put out went fine....but of course the laser did not work in most areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I CAN'T GET AN APPT FOR 3 MORE MONTHS. IF I WAIT 3 MONTHS IT MUTIPY AND GETS 5 TIMES AS BAD!!!!

Honestly i give up! i have been fighting this for year now! NOTHING BUT PAIN AND AGONY WITH TREATMENT AND FOR WHAT NOTHING!!!!!!!
i'M SICK OF PEOPLE TELLING ME IT'S GOING TO BE ALRIGHT..IT'S NOT GOING TO BE ALRIGHT!!! YOU DEAL WITH IT AND SEE IF IT'S ALRIGHT! SEE HOW IT AFFECTS YOUR LIFE AND YOUR EMOTIONS AND SELF IMAGE AND SELF WORTH!!. IT WILL BREAK YOU....THEY SEE ITS HARMLESS ..THAT IS A JOKE IT'S NOT!!!! IT DESTROYS YOU!
I'M DISGUSTING HAVE NO REALTIONSHIOP NOW, I'M ALONE, GROSS AND DAMAGED.

a year of my life is wasted i wanted to do so many things but i couldn't because of the pain....WHAT DO I HAVE TO FORWARD TO NOW...MORE PAIN!!!...MORE TIME ALONE! MY LIFE IS ON HOLD!!!!!!!!....SERIOUSLY ANY LONGER AND DON'T KNOW WHAT I WILL DO!!!

sorry i'm just pissed off and upset

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:19 pm 

I'm sorry that you are feeling so crummy! The book, Damaged Goods by Adina Nack really helped me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

It's OK to be pissed off and upset; don't blame you a bit!!! I'm sorry this has all been so #%^& difficult. The laser didn't do any good at all? Is your next appointment a follow-up or are they going to do more treatment?

Keep checking in, vent all you want. It is absolutely unfair and you didn't do anything wrong!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:24 pm 

You know, it does suck, you're right. Life isn't fair at all, and no one ever promised it would be. Being one of the unlucky few that develops GWs from the premo incognito STI HPV makes you say WTF, why me? I have friends that sleep around like crazy, they don't have anything (that they know of and we all know that's the key here), I'm careful, very few partners and BAM, hit below the belt (literally). Cant' this be just some really intense dream I'll wake up from, please? It makes you feel like you might as well be castrated, or forget about having a family, no one ever would want me right? And of course all the could have/should have scenarios that run thru your head about when you didn't know you had HPV, how you would have played the cards different, made different choices, not just about relationships, but about everything. I know, it blows, big time!

But somewhere along the line I realized that I WILL beat this. It takes MANY trips to the doc for removal, eating boring vegetables (yikes), exercising (double yikes!), seeing a psychologist (lets keep that on the DL eh?) but most importantly just realizing that there is still a lot out there for me in this world. Life isn't over although it does seem that way, especially at first and you have to mourn for a while, life as you knew it is over, but LIFE is far from over. Dig deep inside, make the choice, make the choice that you will stand up and do all you can to fight HPV. I will still have HPV in 365 days, so I can either let it drag me down, or I can think of ways to fight back, find allies, doctors and psychologists, do everything in my power to not get dragged down and realize it’s going to be a long haul.

Fredrick Douglas said, "If there is no struggle there is no progress", and don't underestimate Hope, have it, and don't give in, you never know how tomorrow will turn out, life can change very quickly (as we know), and it does change for the good sometimes too, believe it.

Oh, and it won't be alright, but it can be damn close.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:38 am 

I know the frustration that comes from not being albe to clear gw. It's been 4 years of dealing anger, shame, pain, going through treatment after treatment, and reoccurances. It's especially frustrating when it feels as though life has dealt you a totally unfair hand...I have a freind (who has literally had more than 8 times the sexual partners I have) who has high risk hpv. She says shes glad she has high risk because it isn't as gross as having genital warts, and when she tells people she is at risk of developing cancerous lesions people are sympathetic towards her. On top of that she has 3 beautiful healthy children, and I have to wait till my gw clears before trying to concieve. It's SO FRUSTRATING, BUT it's not the end of the world, it's not the end of happiness, it's not a life sentence to being alone. BTW, I have an appointment for laser treatment in early Jan. I too am hoping that it will be the treatment that actually makes a difference. What I'm basically saying is, after four years of dealing with hpv I am having much more good days than bad days. The first year and half were very tough, but it does get easier.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]