ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 pm 

Hi, first of all I'd like to say that it's nice to see a community out there helping each other out. I made a drunken mistake and apparently woke up with some GW on the underside of my penis near the foreskin. One is a small bump that's pretty obvious and there is a small cluster it seems beneath it. Apparently there were 2-3 small warts in the cluster. The area that seems infected is actually pretty small, even I thought so. But my doctor (although very nice) seemed very rushed. I know that this diagnosis has become quite common-play, but I was wondering what people might think of my first experience and treatment.

Expectedly he acted very non-shalant about the infection (as was I, because I'm well read and slightly more hopeful than pessimistic) and rushed through a lot of things. He jumped right into freezing the area(s) with liquid nitrogen for a minute or so (which stung a bit..but I guess whatever works) and put that plant extract on it. He just up and said "this should take care of it, scabbing over is likely and i'll schedule you a follow up at my assistant's office in 3-4 weeks." Sweet, sounded awesome.

However, I quickly realized this probably wasn't going to be as fast as I thought. I was told to wash the area 3-4 hours later and I did. I immediately noticed the Lower area was a little more noticable and curled up and discolored (like he said would happen, the brown color was normal for awhile after), and the upper..more predominant wart was looking the same..well maybe a little beaten. But nothing I expected (drying..cracking, SOMETHING). The session was so rushed I didn't get to ask what I should of "what should i expect, most likely, out of this first treatment in the following days?" and he also didn't feel the need to prescribe me any cream or anything.

So..that was my first cryo-therapy. Has anyone else had such an experience? Obviously I now have to wait a month to go get more crap done and get checked out...but im guessing he didn't take care of it. Which I can forgive seeing as I know how it works. It just seems like "more" should of occured at least.

Does it take a few days to show the effect of a freezing? I mean, i havent smoked in months (since I found out about the condition and i needed to quit anyway), and I work out daily..and eat pretty well and take good vitamins. My immune system should be in order. Anyone have an opinion? I'd really like to hear it. And I'm also wondering when they finally get taken care of (and hopefully, don't reappear for awhile, or ever...) if you think it's safe to have oral sex performed and use condoms? The guy seemed to know his crap well enough to tell me he wa spositive it was only in this area. so if it's most likely not on the base or other areas that might be exposed by condom use, it should be okay, right?

Sorry this is so long, i'm still trying to jumble what to do with all this in my head.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:50 pm 

I had my first cryo treatment last week and it was similar to yours, it sounds like, except it took alot longer than a few minutes since there were several areas. But, I haven't noticed a big change in my warts. My gyno told me that it would probably take several treatments to get it into control. As far as how long it takes for results to show, she seemed to imply that it could take a couple of weeks. Or at least that's when she told me to come back to see how things are going. She also said that coming back before two weeks was up would be pointless. So, give it some time. And as far as not getting any creams or anything, I guess that can vary from person to person, because I didn't get any creams or gels either.

Well, I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:57 am 

Thanks! Any response is helpful. Yea....i figured it might take a few follow up treatments. As of this morning the area is much more brown and appears much more deflated. We'll see. Hopefully I only need one or two more blasts!

Thanks again,
jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:37 am 
Site Admin

The length of treatment to remove warts can vary, and sometimes several rounds are needed. With cryotherapy, the skin that's treated sort of blisters and eventually breaks away from the surrounding tissue.

The risks of oral sex aren't well defined with HPV, and the value of condoms in this regard isn't established, either. HPV can exist on skin apart from what the condom will cover, so condom use doesn't offer 100% protection. Still, condoms are likely to be effective for the skin they do cover and we recommend using them. A common precaution is not to perform oral sex on an area while warts are present.

Removing warts doesn't guarantee transmission won't take place, but many experts think the risks of transmitting the virus to a new partner diminish greatly over time, especially once the immune system suppresses the virus and one has gone awhile with no recurrences. See the thread "long term infectivity" at the top of the board for more on this.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject: So far....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:51 pm 

The warts seemed to have scabbed up and fallen away. however the spot that was not a lone wart, but a pretty small cluster of tissue and a wart or two scabbed off but looks pretty strange. it IS bright pink like new skin, but it looks somewhat formed...like it's possible that there still might be some more to take care of in the exact same spot. So we'll see. any one else have positive experiences with freezing off a mild case of warts and what it might have appeared like thereafter? I'm hoping if there's more to be done it only takes another round or two...but it looks pretty promising..so far.

i know how it works though, so we'll see. I go back in a month, thanks for the response(s)!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]