ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:44 pm 

Just got back from the dermatologist and he said that I had Bowenoid papulosis, He removed one and it came back clear from any cancers and removed the rest by cryotherapy. kind of explianed to me like there is a ruler and the first inch is normal cells where is the 12th inch is cancer cells he said my cells are like a 3, which is good.

I plan on doing full check ups, do you think I should worry about this? I understand its like almost 8 out 10 people carry things like this, but I dont really dont want it turning into cancer at all. Is this something once removed and if it comes back you get it removed again everything should be alright? Just a little nervous about this and would like some advice.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update. Sometime referred to as Bowen's Disease, this can involve skin changes to the penis due to HPV. In very rare, rare cases the changes can persist and lead to cancer, but this isn't common at all and, were it to happen, more likely would occur in someone who never sought medical care. Bowen's is usually not dangerous, but you're smart to keep on top of it and go for the check-ups they recommend you have.

Take care and let us know how you're doing.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 pm 

Fredo, thanks for the response this is something I will not let go. Just another question maybe regarding this. Since this seems to appear because of HPV would it be wise to get an anal pap or anoscopy done as well? I am a hetrosexual male and have never have had my anal canel toched unless it was done by wiping from the bathroom.

Lets also say BP appears and once removed and they never come back is that a sign HPV may be gone as well? Aslo, is it possible to still have remainder leisons on your skin if HPV was killed by your immune system and you just need to take them off because it created those leisons? Last one if BP reappears and gets removed that is the best way to fight it wheris cancer should never be in the qeuestion, just scares me thinking about it.

Last edited by OnceLost on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Anal Paps are controversial but of course are sometimes done. I don't know if most health care providers would recommend it for someone with no history of anal intercourse, but you can ask to see what they say. I don't think anoscopy is likely to be done without first doing an anal Pap.

Most cases of HPV are cleared naturally by the immune system, and I don't know the how likely Bowen's is to recur compared to other HPV-related diagnosis. How often do they have you coming in for follow-up exams?

Fredo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:46 pm 

Fredo, so I went to my 3 week checkup when they did cyro on the about 4 spots. When I got there I had him check everywhere else to be on the safe side. When he looked at the spots that he took off he said they have healed very nicely and he said he was actually ready to re-do it again but didnt have to. So far I havent had a reaccurance of the BP, hope I dont. He said only schedule a appointment if needed.

He stated that I shouldnt worry I even asked him if I should get my anal area checked he said to me that clinically i look 100% and if he thought I needed that done he would recommend me to get it done but he said I shouldnt worry. I asked him about it being HPV related he said more than likely but that doesnt mean I still have HPV, but as long as the lesions are not around I should not be worried about being a carrier and to just wear condoms for a while to be safe.

When the doctor looked at me the very first time he knew what it was and didnt think there was any problems, but once you start getting on the internet only thing that pops out is CANCER which causes a red flag and scary emotional wreck on people. As stated before it seems like everyone has some type of HPV or will get it at some point in there sexual lifetime that it is common, whereis I guess since this disease is so common the main concern here is that girls are getting cevix cancer because of guys that carry the HPV. I guess I can see the rise in anal cancers associated with homosexual males and girls have anal intercourse with males but that seems to still be very uncommon.

So I guess last question to you would be, I plan on using a condom even know thats not 100% with a male that might possible have a high risk HPV is there anything else I should worry about or should I just keep an eye on my penis for those spots if they occur again?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hey,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are under control, which is probably to be expected but still really good to hear. There's probably not much else you can do - or really need to do - beyond what your doctor recommends.

Quote:
When the doctor looked at me the very first time he knew what it was and didnt think there was any problems, but once you start getting on the internet only thing that pops out is CANCER which causes a red flag and scary emotional wreck on people.

I think you're absolutely right. The Internet is a blessing and curse rolled into one, isn't it? It gives us unprecedented access to information, but some of it is alarmist and scary.

Keep posting, always good to hear from you.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]