ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:16 pm 

I'm 36yrs old. This past October, I was tested and found out I have high risk HPV. I lost my virginity just this past April so I know exactly who infected me. Yes, I'm unusual that it took me that long to loose my virginity but that is what happened. We stopped by April so I know that is when I was first infected. We did it only three times and he was a friends with benefit friend, not a boyfriend.

When they tested me in October, I had it but my cells were normal. All they told me was it was common and don't worry about it. They told me to make an appointment for one year to be tested again.

About three days after I was tested in October, my relationship with my first serious boyfriend of four and a half months went down the drain. Not because he found out about the HPV but for other reasons. Even though we only dated for four and half months, I had fallen in love with him. There were two weeks of separation and then by the first of November, he ended it. For at least six weeks, starting from the separation, I had been completely stressed out. There was some crying during the two week separation but the waterworks really came when he broke it off. For about a month, there wasn't a day that I didn't go without crying for 24 hours.

Just so you know, with my ex we waiting for a while before we finally started to have sex. And then we went into the bedroom about four times before he broke it off. And during those times, he never entered me, just played with me down below. So there is no way he could have given me the HPV.

About two weeks ago, I find out that stress, and not just your immune system could cause the HPV to form cancerous cells. When I found out that stress can form them, I tried to calm myself down. I was doing ok for a few days until my period started to come up. The few days before and now during it, I'm more emotional. And I'm finding myself crying again. It is not just crying all day, like it was in the beginning of the breakup. Some kind of memory or some every day thing triggers it.

I'm trying to get myself out of this funk but I'm having a very hard time doing it. I loved him. He was my first real boyfriend and he broke my heart when he left me. We hadn't be fighting before October. Our problems just came out of the blue and caught me by surprise. Before that, I thought we would would be together forever. He always talked about the future with me in it.

Just telling myself that you can't stress helps a little but at times it just makes it all the worse. And then there are times that I just find myself crying and it happens before I can even tell myself that I shouldn't be stressing myself.

Does anyone know how long of stressing does it take before the cells can form? My doctor wants me to wait a year before getting tested again. But they don't know what my stress level has been like. Do you think I should ask to be tested in March, which will be six month, instead of October? And do you think health insurance would pay for it? I know you can guarantee that but have people had a test six months after the last.

Yesterday I got a cold. Everyone has it but not everyone has high risk HPV. I wonder if getting the cold means my immune system is low or would I have gotten it no matter how good it is because everyone is getting it. But this scares me even more. Now it is stress and my immune system involved in it.

Any advise you can give me would be welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Sasha,

Thanks so much for posting. I'm sorry things didn't work out with your boyfriend and can imagine how difficult that has been for you. Relationships can bring us so much joy but, man, can they be a hassle! Keep your chin up.

Don't worry too much about the stress factor in your life. HPV is rarely dangerous, even when cell changes are found, and as long as you go for follow-up exams as recommended the likelihood is that you'll be fine. The one KEY factor when women do have problems with HPV is usually that they have either never had a Pap test or have gone many years without one.

Ditto for having the cold, don't worry too much about that. Routine stuff like that isn't a problem with HPV.

Hang in there, keep us posted if you will, and post anytime you like!

Best always,
Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 am 

Thanks for responding Fredo.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]