ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


 

National Cervical Cancer Coalition


Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Condyloma Type Testing?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:21 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 am
Posts: 6
Quick question (maybe :wink: ). I had an appointment last week with the Dermatologist and asked him if he could send my GWs to a lab for strain type testing. My thought being that if I know what strain causes my GWs, I (we) can determine the effectiveness of the Gardasil Vaccine for future partners. He agreed and sent out the samples, and I received the results today. The odd thing is the results just state Condyloma, but the strain type isn’t listed? I don’t know if they just pushed this thru of if he even caught was I was really asking for. Should I ask him again for the test?


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm
Posts: 2122
Location: North Carolina
Hi Ben,

Typing a genital wart is rarely helpful because 90% of them are related to just two types, HPV 6 and 11. Not coincidentally, those types are included in the Gardasil vaccine! Does your health care provider thinks there's any benefit in knowing the type?

Fredo

_________________
ASHA Moderator


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 am
Posts: 6
Hi Fredo, thanks for the reply! My healthcare provider was questioning why I wanted this also. I guess my rational was that if I meet someone and it gets serious, we can use Gardasil to protect her from my GWs and provide peace of mind. I don't know it seems to make sense to me, but maybe this is a silly idea.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 am
Posts: 6
Well some good news!! I received the strain type results today and my GWs are type 6 or 11, so...this is good. At least I know Gardasil will protect my partner (granted I know, that she wasn't previosuly exposed). Fredo I know this was the likely outcome considering 90% of GWs are caused by 6 or 11 but I already beat the odds once in developing GWs from HPV so I wanted to be sure I wasn't in that 10%. Thanks!! :D


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm
Posts: 2122
Location: North Carolina
Hey pal,

Glad you got some news that's helpful. At least now you know for certain!

Thanks for the update and keep in touch.

Best,
Fredo

_________________
ASHA Moderator


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group