ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Condyloma Type Testing?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:21 pm 

Quick question (maybe :wink: ). I had an appointment last week with the Dermatologist and asked him if he could send my GWs to a lab for strain type testing. My thought being that if I know what strain causes my GWs, I (we) can determine the effectiveness of the Gardasil Vaccine for future partners. He agreed and sent out the samples, and I received the results today. The odd thing is the results just state Condyloma, but the strain type isn’t listed? I don’t know if they just pushed this thru of if he even caught was I was really asking for. Should I ask him again for the test?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ben,

Typing a genital wart is rarely helpful because 90% of them are related to just two types, HPV 6 and 11. Not coincidentally, those types are included in the Gardasil vaccine! Does your health care provider thinks there's any benefit in knowing the type?

Fredo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm 

Hi Fredo, thanks for the reply! My healthcare provider was questioning why I wanted this also. I guess my rational was that if I meet someone and it gets serious, we can use Gardasil to protect her from my GWs and provide peace of mind. I don't know it seems to make sense to me, but maybe this is a silly idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 pm 

Well some good news!! I received the strain type results today and my GWs are type 6 or 11, so...this is good. At least I know Gardasil will protect my partner (granted I know, that she wasn't previosuly exposed). Fredo I know this was the likely outcome considering 90% of GWs are caused by 6 or 11 but I already beat the odds once in developing GWs from HPV so I wanted to be sure I wasn't in that 10%. Thanks!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hey pal,

Glad you got some news that's helpful. At least now you know for certain!

Thanks for the update and keep in touch.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]