ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:12 am 

About 1 1/2 years ago, I had my first abnormal pap smear, and they brought me in for a biopsy because when they sent my pap off to see if it was abnormal for HPV, it was positive.

Now, I am 38 years old...when I was 19 years old, to my horror, I had 2 genital warts removed that I didn't even know was there. It took 3 visits to remove them, and since then, not a single pap, nothing has come back as anything.

Now, here is the kicker...

The gyno that removed my warts NEVER told me that it was HPV...he told me they may come back, they may not, but if I ever had a baby, and they didn't come back, they probably never will, because pregnancy affects them.

Well, when I had a baby 3 years ago, I was tested for every (I thought) STD...and all were negative...I never gave it another thought until I had an abnormal pap, and then I was shocked because I was like, "I haven't had sex with anyone since my daughter has been born, so how can this be?"

That was when I realized the HPV was new...and it wasn't until a year later that I even knew HPV was linked to cervical cancer...and my doctor (who is considered one of the best in the city), never told me this. They had a nurse to call me, tell me about the HPV, like she was confirming a hair appointment or something.

Well, I would eventually like to have another baby (I am a single mother by choice) and because I am going back for a second degree, I have about 2 more years before I think I am ready..I am not concerned about my personal fertility as I have a long family history with late-in-life-births...however, I was about to see about taking the HPV vaccine until I read that it could possibly have a fertility impact, and that has me pretty freaked out.

I don't even know which type of HPV I have...because they didn't tell me when I called.

I'm just not sure what to do next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 am 

i would first, switch to another doctor. HPV is confusing to everyone, us & doctors alike, but a PAP should be able to tell you what strands u have.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 pm 

Actually a pap itself can not. Though I have heard many dr's will take the pap results as positive proof you have HPV as the certain results usually are linked to it. I'm sure I'm not explaining that just right, but you get the idea. :) An HPV test is what will tell you if you have "high-risk" hpv. There is also a "low-risk" panel, but it usually doesn't get ran. Since Dr's are only concerned if you have "high-risk" for obvious reasons. It also can't tell you exactly what strain of the virus you have. Just if it's one of the "risks".

For those who haven't, you can read more about it here:

http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_dysplasia.cfm

There's other sections under the HPV topic there to your left that you can also click through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi user1234,

Genital warts usually involve "low risk" HPV types, whereas cervical abnormalities related to HPV that are detected via Pap and confirmed with colposcopy/biopsy often are associated with "high risk" types of the virus. Pap tests can't figure out which type of HPV one has for certain (as Paps aren't HPV tests), but usually the healthcare provider can figure out if "high risk" or "low risk" HPV is present between the Pap and a follow up colposcopy/biopsy. In cases where the Pap result is really unclear, then HPV DNA testing can be done, as Rogue mentions, to see if "high risk" virus is present.

There is no data we're aware of that HPV vaccines on the market or in development affect human fertility, and no safety warnings from FDA in this regard. There is much alarmist rhetoric around vaccines in general, and the HPV immunization is no exception. The saftey profile is excellent, though, and ask your healthcare provider if the vaccine is right for you, and to address any concerns you might have.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Hi user1234,

Genital warts usually involve "low risk" HPV types, whereas cervical abnormalities related to HPV that are detected via Pap and confirmed with colposcopy/biopsy often are associated with "high risk" types of the virus. Pap tests can't figure out which type of HPV one has for certain (as Paps aren't HPV tests), but usually the healthcare provider can figure out if "high risk" or "low risk" HPV is present between the Pap and a follow up colposcopy/biopsy. In cases where the Pap result is really unclear, then HPV DNA testing can be done, as Rogue mentions, to see if "high risk" virus is present.

There is no data we're aware of that HPV vaccines on the market or in development affect human fertility, and no safety warnings from FDA in this regard. There is much alarmist rhetoric around vaccines in general, and the HPV immunization is no exception. The saftey profile is excellent, though, and ask your healthcare provider if the vaccine is right for you, and to address any concerns you might have.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi user1234,

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]