ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:26 am 

I've read as much material that i can find on the subject of HPV and still can't get a grasp on certain subjects concerning all the consequences of this virus.
Had my warts laser cut 5 days ago, healing process is slow but every day is better.
here is my understanding
1.i'm contaminated for life, just because warts gone, virus still present
2. need to use condom for all sexual relations, unless want to spread
3. Can still spread even with condom
the reason why i'm asking have new g/f and she has been with me through this here is what she wants to do
1. Engage on oral sex with me but just on the glans of the penis and she wants to taste /swallow ejaculate
2. play. perform oral on scrotum
3 perform anallingus on me

I've objected to all 3, in fear of spreading the virus to her told her just because you don't see visible signs, warts doesn't mean area not virus free,
she has suggested wiping down areas with antiseptic wipes, prior to to kill germs, i've objected.

don't have follow up with doctor for a few more weeks and she really wants an answer.

So what is the general opinion out there. am i being to cautious or is she being too risky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Admin

1.I'm contaminated for life, just because warts gone, virus still present
Most HPV infections are cleared naturally by the immune system. Estimated that 90% become undetectable within 24 months.

2. need to use condom for all sexual relations, unless want to spread
3. Can still spread even with condom
Condoms aren't 100% effective in preventing HPV transmission, but they do have value. One study (Rachel Winer at the University of Washington) found HPV transmission reduced by 70% among women whose partners used condoms consistently.

The evidence seems to suggest pretty clearly that performing oral sex is a risk for acquiring HPV, but no one knows just how much a risk. Oral diseases from HPV aren't detected very often, even less so than genital lesions (like warts), but they do occur. A condom is a possibility for oral sex, although obviously that prevents your partner from being exposed to your ejaculate. Some couples abstain or use condoms while warts are present, then use condoms for a few months afterwards. There is no set point in time when you can say "hey, the virus can no longer be transmitted" but many experts think the risks of transmission to a new partner decline greatly if there are no recurrences in the months following removal.

Wiping the area before sex probably won't help re: HPV.

Wish I could tell you more, hope this helps some.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 pm 

Thank You for the response,
My understanding and what i can gather from your responses , some acts are just too risky and there are no definitive answers. Can't ask for anything more because no one really knows

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:43 pm 

Fredo...if she were to receive the Gardasil Vaccine, granted she hasn't been exposed already, then would she be protected from transmission during the activities mentioned?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Fredo...if she were to receive the Gardasil Vaccine, granted she hasn't been exposed already, then would she be protected from transmission during the activities mentioned?

You know, that's an excellent question. Gardasil isn't approved for preventing oral HPV infections and diseases, but that's primarily due to genital diseases being the research priority with the vaccine. We don't know how well it will protect against oral HPV infections and related diseases, but it might in fact be very protective, and I know a number of experts express optimism that it will be. Certainly not a bad idea at all for her to talk with the folks at her clinic to see if she can get the vaccine.

Thanks for mentioning that!

Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 am 

In this case, I always consult my personal doctor for every steps I make. Thank you so much to all nice advice here I learn something new.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]