ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV frustration!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 am 

Firstly thank you to everyone on this board, it is very helpful.

I am female, 22, healthy and a non-smoker, and was diagosed with genital warts in January 2009, I had one larger one and a couple of smaller ones, all located at the bottom of my vulva. They were treated with Aldara and then te larger one was also frozen off. I'm not sure weather I just wasn't observing right, but after freezing the larger one seemed to go away, quickly return and then quickly disapear again. They were completely gone by middle of March 2009.

For six months I had no dramas and presumed myself clear, given that I read stuff online that said if the warts didn't return in 3-6 months you could consider yourself not really contagious anymore. I was checking for warts carefully during that time.

But in October, over six months later, I noticed two tiny spots, this time higher up, near urethra, and different in appearance to the first warts. When I saw my doctor for regular pap (which was normal), he had the freezing equipemnt right there but decided at least one of the spots didn't look like a wart, so he left them.

Just out of curiousity, in December I went to another general doctor and he said yes warts and froze them off. A month later they haven't returned. But since i'd already had warts he seemed resigned these new spots were too before even looking at them, so I don't know if there's a chance he mis-diagnosed them.

My questions are, is it normal for warts to recur in a sort of different place? And after at least six months? i have not had sex since picking up the intial infection so it cannot be a new infection. Could there be other causes for tiny spots, as my first doctor suggested?
How long do I have to wait now before I could consider myself clear?

I am just so frustrated, I know HPV is not a big deal but I feel I should tell any future partners for a while but it seems so silly to cause stress and embarrassment by saying I may or may not have virus still.

Post subject: Re: HPV frustration!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:25 am 

Your situation wouldn't be too unusual. Sometimes the virus continues to spread even after you've had the initial warts removed. At this point since your symptoms are gone, no easy way to know if they were really hpv or not.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]