ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:36 pm 

This is complicated so i will give the "readers digest version." My wife of over 25 years has been diagnosed w/HPV ( she annually goes to her ob/gyn and this is the first time that her pap test came up positive for HPV). During our 25 year plus marriage I have had sex w/one other women 5 times, the last time 5 years ago, and yes I used a condom ( my wife knows nothing about this liaison). I believe (although I am not 100% certain) that my wife has not had sex outside our marriage. The women who I had sex with told me she has never been diagnosed w/HPV, or any other STD; I believe her. My questions are:

1. can one get HPV from other than sexual contact?
2. If the person I had sex with 5 years ago is not telling me the truth and somehow I did transmit the virus to my wife, could it be dormant in her for 5 years?
3. should I have some kind of test to see if I am a carrier of the HPV?
4. Can my wife and I have a normal sex life?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 am 

Typically when we gals go for pap tests, they don't test for hpv. Depending on what her clinic uses test wise, depends on just why now she's finding out about her hpv infection. In many clinics, they don't routinely test for hpv unless they get an abnormal pap test result. Odds are this is the situation with your wife.

The cancer associated types of hpv tend to stay in our bodies for years and years before they have caused enough changes in the cells on our cervixes to be picked up as abnormal cells on the pap test. This could've been a hpv infection she had from a partner prior to you just now causing detectable changes, a hpv infection you gave her back when you first met or one she picked up down the line ( or you did ). Proper use of condoms has been shown to reduce hpv transmission by 90% ( this means the condom goes on when the clothes come off, not just waiting to put it on for insertion ).

So bottom line is - you really will never figure out the when and from whom part.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]