ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 pm 

Hello,

I have the same partner for 10 years and suddenly I have been diagnosed with genital warts and cervical dysplasia. I had a Pap smear and ob/gyn exam in February and everything was normal, but the same year in November I had a big genital wart and my doctor was very surprised. In November I was already 2 months pregnant. I am still confused. It is possible that I had a new infection? Is it possible that the virus was dormant for so many years and all of a sudden “revived”? What I read about this virus is that the infection lasts for 1-2 years. What I cannot understand is that how a virus contacted many years ago can become active after a long time?

Looking forward for your answer. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 am 

Even though as far as we know, most folks "clear" the hpv infection from their bodies over time, we do know that it does sometimes reactivate in pregnancy.

I'm guessing you are asking if you should suspect your partner of cheating?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:15 pm 

Yes, do you think I should suspect him of cheating?? It is very weird to me to have this infection all of a sudden!

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 pm 

unless you have reason to suspect otherwise, I wouldn't.

most of us don't get tested for hpv routinely unless we have abnormal paps. You can have hpv for years and years before it will cause enough changes in your cervical cells to cause an abnormal pap test. The external wart is unrelated to the hpv infection on your cervix causing the dysplasia ( I know, as if one type of hpv wasn't enough! ). At this point it's probably just pregnancy causing all of this to be an issue ( the natural immunosuppression that occurs during pregnancy - goes lovely with all those hormones...lol ).

Have you discussed this with your obgyn?

Have you asked your husband if there's anything going on you need to know about?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 pm 

Betsy,

thank you for your answer; I appreciate it!. Yes, I toked to my ob/gyn and she was surprised too, but said that for cervical dysplazia to appear, you need to be infected well before, because the cell changes are very slow. Regarding the warts she said that is possible they have been there for many years, but very small that they were not able to be detected and because of the hormones in pregnancy they grew. Well, they grew pretty fast in only 2 months of pregnancy!!!!!!!!!

I talked to my husband and he said he never cheated and I trust him, but it is still a mister to me! Is it possible you can get this virus from sitting on a toilet, or sleeping in bed after somebody who had it...It is so frustrating...even to be the exception...

thanks for your answers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm 

no, it's not something you'd pick up from a toilet or anything.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]