ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 pm 

Hi,

Sorry, got another couple of questions and hope it is ok to put them in two separate posts.

Is there a condom out there that covers the scrotum and the areas around the legs where HPV might be contracted?

I am thinking of something like shorts with a hole for the male bit that allow you to put a condom on top or something similar? Not bothered about how much they cost or how they feel so long as they work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

I've never seen anything like that, but people ask about it a lot. Female condoms cover some of the surface area of the vulva (external female genitalia) and might have some advantage, but no one has studied them with HPV to my knowledge.

One study with female college students showed that when their male partners use regular male latex condoms consistently and correctly, HPV transmission was reduced by 70% (Winer et al).

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]