ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oral sex???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:00 pm 

I was just diagnosed with HPV (the kind that could cause cancer)... I am not telling my partner about it because the doctor said there is nothing you can do for a man anyways plus I know he'll think I cheated. I am pretty sure I got it from him even though it could lay dormant for years but this is my first abnormal pap that has detected HPV and I've only been with him in the past year. Anyways my question is I do perform Oral sex on him, How will this effect me? I go on thursday for my colposcopy. I will ask more questions at the doctor's but am kind of curious now to know all I can about Oral sex and HPV.

Anybody who knows could you please respond all you know about HPV and oral sex
thank you soooo much
and thanks again to Fredo who has always replied to my threads
thank you

Post subject: Re: Oral sex???
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

It seems like oral sex is a risk factor for contracting HPV, but probably not the same as with genital contact. I don't think oral diseases related to HPV are all that common, certainly not if you're talking about head and neck cancers (which are pretty rare and only a subset of which are related to HPV).

There isn't much guidance other than the obvious of not performing oral sex while lesions (like warts or cell changes) might be present. I'd be interested in hearing what your doctor tells you.

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]