ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 pm 

I was recently diagnosed with HPV and was told I do not have the strain that causes warts... Is this possible? The nurse told me I have the strain that could cause cancer but not warts???

please someone write back to this post...
thank you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 am 

If I remember my research correctly, there are actually more than 80-100 strains of HPV- some cause cancer, some cause genital warts. (Regular warts are Papilloma Virus as well, just not associated with STIs.)
Keep up with your exams; this is the best (only?), earliest, way to detect if your cells are abnormal and to "catch" the cancer, if the cells turn into it. I'm trying to remember where I found all my information, but it was 10yrs ago when I was first diagnosed, and the Internet has changed a bit since then...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:51 am 

Thank you for your reply.. I had heard there are multiple strains of HPV but what I was wondering is if one kind can ONLY cause cancer and then another kind can ONLY cause warts... Because if I have the kind that can only cause cancer then I don't have to worry about warts?? right???

Thanks again
anyone else wish to reply I would appreciate it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 am 

As far as I remember, yep!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guest777,

Lynn's exactly right, there are 100 or more different types of HPV, about 30 or so that are linked with sexual contact. Of those 30, the ones that cause visible external warts are typically different from the ones associated with abnormal Pap tests and cervical cancer risk.

One thing that's important to understand is most so-called "high risk" HPV infections are not dangerous and do not lead to cervical cancer. In fact, cancer is a rare outcome of "high risk" HPV infections! The important thing is keeping up with follow-up exams.

Post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 pm 

Thank you for your reply
I really appreciate it

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]