ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recurring HPV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:31 am 

Hi - I'm very new here, but not new to HPV. I was diagnosed with HPV in 2003 and had two surgeries: cryotherapy, which did not remove all of the abnormal cells followed by LEEP. I've had normal PAP tests until now - I have to go in for a colposcopy in two weeks.

Now, I've done lots of research, but I have to admit that I'm really quite scared right now. Not so much because of the HPV, but because I am unsure of the underlying cause for my weakened immune system (which seems to be why HPV can flare up again). When the doctor called with the news of my abnormal pap, she also told me that there were signs of a yeast infection (though I have not felt any symptoms) and I can't remember the last time I had one. I am a pretty healthy person - I don't smoke, I'm vegetarian, I'm in good shape.

I know that stress can weaken your immune system, and it's pretty much safe to say I'm sort of a stressful person. I am a graduate student (going on 6 years now) and hold down three jobs. I also volunteer with several organizations including our Rape Crisis Center in town . . . and have had a bit of a topsy turvy reltionship that just ended. But, I also know that there are other things that can weaken one's immune system (and need I say much scarier things).

So I'm wondering how common it is for stress to cause flare ups - I know there probably aren't any definitive answers, but right now, any information or personal stories might ease my mind. If I am healthy, why the flare up again after 4 years? I keep reading that it generally goes away on its own after a few years for most people - so I'm wondering why I'm not 'most' people . . .

Thanks for listening! Cara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:40 pm 

Hey DD,

Let me begin by saying that doctor's aren't sure if the body eradicates the virus or brings the viral down when it comes to HPV. For some people they have HPV and within two years never see warts or have any issues with the virus and in others it can lay dormant and all of a sudden reapper. Keep in mind it's a virus so there is no sure fire answer of how your body will handle the bug.

Also you immune system can play a crucial part and from reading your profile you are one busy bee buzzing from one function to another not to mention ending a relationship so yeah it's clear to say your stress levels are way up. Stress can play major havoc on our health and it can bring down the strongest immune system. During my first year of HPV, I had about 3 warts and had them removed.Normal pap smear. But within 6 months of infection, I got a nasty bout of flu (thanks to my sister) and guess what two warts wanted to say hello. Needless to say my best friend TCA acid made them say goodbye. So sure stress can wreck havoc on your immune system and weaken it.

The good thing is that you are eating healthy and that's a good immune booster. Also I found that "me" time helps to relax you a bit and You may want to let go of a few activities to give yourself the relaxation time you need. Try not to stress over the relationship. Take some time to enjoy you . You can only give so much of yourself to people before to have to say STOP it's my DIVA time, leave me alone :lol:

From what it sound like you have the High-Risk strain but continue to seek your doctor's care and sometimes yeast infections can have no sysmptoms at all and oh yeah stress can bring on those as well. Also if you have had sex recently, you may have be re-infected with a new strain of HPV and your body hasn't had time to fight it which is why it is reapperaing. Just a thought but once the virus is with you it's with you.

Try not to worry to much and remember to put yourself on your schedule. There is only one you so take care of you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:17 pm 

Isis - Wow - I just have to say thank you! I swear it's as if you know me personally. Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I've been lamenting to my mother also and she has suggested the same thing . . . give up some of the activities and spend more time with 'me'. Thanks again!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]