ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Full of questions.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:16 pm 

I have been diagnosed with #59 strain of HPV. It's a high risk type and I don't have any genital warts. From my understanding the high-risk part only pertains to me and my chances of developing cervical cancer. Is this correct? I was wondering if my chances of infecting someone else were somewhat lessened because I don't have the warts? Also, what other precautions are there besides using condoms when having sex? I've had sex since I've been diagnosed and I made sure to let my partner know that I am carrying the disease. While it was protected sex, I am still concerned that they could get it and be angry with me. Is that just something I'm risking by remaining sexually active? If a partner had my bodily fluid on their hand and put their hand in their mouth, could it be spread that way? Because that isn't exactly skin-to-skin contact. Well, the skin on the hand, but that is a little different. I contracted the disease from someone who lied to me and I just want to be able to explain to my future partners better what I can do to take the appropriate measures. I am 20 years old and I don't want the fact that I have this disease to keep me from doing anything. I'm not saying I'm not worried about spreading it, I just want to know what I can do. I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels this way. And rather than not telling my partner at all I'd like to know how to best inform them. Or is there no way? I'm just so confused about what my limits are, and I'd really just like to know what to do. If I need to give up on the idea of ever having sex again, I'll just start getting used to it now. Okay, I realize it's not that dramatic, but it sure feels that way. One more thing: is there any place where I can look up and read more about my specific strain? All the information I've found is very general and doesn't really help me understand the type that I have. And my doctor didn't give me any kind of idea where to look. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there Gutz,

Glad to have you online with us. "High risk" HPV types, as you correctly state, are so named because they are linked with cervical cancers. It's important to note that cervical cancer is acually a pretty uncommon outcome of "high risk" HPV infection, so the term is a little bit alarmist. The most important thing is to return for follow up exams (and Pap tests) as recommended.

It isn't clear just how you were diagnosed, with an abnormal Pap that led to an HPV DNA test, or if you have normal Paps but still tested positive on a DNA screening for HPV. Since you specifically mention HPV type 59, it seems like you've had a DNA test at some point.

I don't think the specific genotype (in this case, 59) is as important as simply knowing "high risk" HPV is present and then going back for follow ups. The info you need re: follow up, prognosis, partners, etc. won't change much if at all with one "high risk" type versus another. If you look up HPV 59 online, you'll mainly find scholarly papers that aren't of much interest in real world clinical practice, but they are of great interest to researchers.

HPV 59 is not likely to lead to external, visible lesions. Transmission of HPV in the absence of lesions (like warts or cervical cell changes) isn't too well understood, but the absence of detectable lesions doesn't mean the virus can 't be transmitted to a new partner. Latex condoms don't offer 100% protection with HPV, but are probably effective for the skin they cover. Hand to genital contact probably doesn't carry much risk: the focus of sexual transmission of HPV is on genital to genital (or anal) contact.

It might be possible to contract oral HPV by performing oral sex on a partner with genital virus, but the exact risk is not well understood. The HPV types associated with genital skin don't seem to cause oral symptoms very often that are detected clinically, but it's a good idea not to perform oral sex on a partner while any lesions are present.

Read the thread on discussing HPV with partners at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18. If we can be of more help, post anytime (sorry it took me so long to respond!).

All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:54 pm 

My pap test was normal, but I do have to go back here pretty soon for a follow up to make sure everything is still okay. Thanks a lot for all your help. It makes me feel like the information I've found is right, and I'm doing everything I can to take care of myself. I don't feel quite as lost as I did before. I feel like I'm at least headed in the right direction. Thanks a bunch. I'm just glad I got a response at all, I was getting kind of worried :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:03 pm 

Hey gutz86.

I was reading your post and Fredo is the best to answer the question.

Also check out
www.hpvtest.com
www.maketheconnection.org

There you can find some helpful info too.

Take Care :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]