ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just found out..
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:32 pm 

Hi,
I just found out I have HPV and I'm pretty upset about it. I was so sure I was STD-free, so it was a shock when I found out. I'm just feeling lonely and scared and I'm hoping these message boards will help. I'm also looking to learn more about HPV and to just let my emotions out rather than keep them inside =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:25 pm 

Sweetie pie!!! You are not alone .HPV is an extremely common virus and many people who have HPV don't know they have it. When we go in to get tested for STI's they only check for the major players but as far as virus, they are not routine so you have to ask for those tests. It's a shame because I feel they should be routine with all the others.

You are still a princess, DIVA and much much more and what you are feeling is normal but it will get better. Now is the time to maintain proper health and take care of yourself physically,mentally and emotionally.

Here are two sites that I've been sending around the board and they are helpful.

www.thehpvtest.com
www.makethe connection.org

Also there are treatment options available and you can still have a normal fuflling life. HPV is a small part of who you are.It doesn't define you.If you have any questions ask away. We are all here to help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:57 am 

Thanks for the words of comfort! I was also wondering if you or someone could explain what exactly low-risk and high-risk HPV means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi wonderinggirl,

"High risk" HPV types are so-called because one or more of them is found with virtually all cases of cervical cancer. These HPV types can cause cervical cell changes that can be detected with Pap tests.

"Low risk" types are those found with lesions such as genital warts, and they are not linked with cervical cancer.

The term "high risk" is a bit alarmist, though, because cervical cancer is a rare outcome of "high risk" HPV infection, especially for women who have Pap tests and follow up clinic visits as directed.

HPV is very common, with up to 80% of women estimated to have the virus at some point in their lives by age 50! It generally can be managed, though, and the immune system typically suppresses/clears HPV in most cases. Read the discussion at http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=394 for more on this.

Let us know if you have any other questions. All the best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:11 am 

aww sweetheart just know that you are NEVER alone!!! There are so many of us out there with this, and even though its not the best news in the world, it could always be worse, at least thats how i think about it to get through! HPV is the most prevalent std out there these days, 80 percent of women will come in contact with it, just know that you will be ok, and there are so may people here willing and wanting to support you and help you through t! I know that its scary, but if you ever need anything let me know im always willing talking, i was diagnosed almost two years ago, so i would be more than happy to help with any questions you have or just be there for support! take care, you'll be in my prayers!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]