ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm new
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 pm 

hi i have a lot on my mind due to an abnormal papsmear and my gyn talked about HPV and it sounds like i have it but i wasnt able to ask so many questions and i wont see her til may 7th and i was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions for me.

i recently had a baby. he was born febuary 7th and my pregancy was a high risk one wher ei had to be on bedrest for 7 weeks and unfortuanlly my son was born early because i was 36 weeks and i was already dialated at 1 on the 29th week. anyhow my pap smear came out abnormal and my cervix has changed and during my pregancy when i had paps done even std check it came out normal. i have had an abnormal papsmear once before back in my early 20's but all they told me was it was a vaginal infection and btw i got a lot of those in my life bt im 30 now.

my question is it possible for hpv symptoms for cervical changes to come back after pregancy due to giving birth and being stressed?

can the virus be in your body but yet for restuls of paps to come out normal?

my tests always came out nomral except once and it was due to infections but i did have sex about three weeks ago with my partner and i want to get this cleared up so i dont blame myself for most of it because he had many partners in his life including having threesomes as well as he mentioned but yet he said he was clean and i was also wondering if men get tests done to see if they have it?

thank you if you can help.

Post subject: to: Aribeth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 pm 

Hi Aribeth,
Welcome to this site. I am new also. First of all - I'm happy to hear you and baby are doing so well after all you have been through. I know you your emotions aren't doing so well and that is understandable! Besides your emotions after a baby and then the pap news. I don't have all the answers to your ?'s but Fredo will be back on during the week with more info for you. There is a lot of info on this site just by reading through comments from others and Fredo.
I had a normal pap but tested positive for HPV. I'm going back to my doctor this Fri. for a consultation. I have many ?'s and want her time for all of them. Maybe you could call and request a consutation before your next appt. / even a phone consult may help so you don't have to wait.
Enjoy your baby, rest as much as you can. Hopeinsite.

Post subject: Re: to: Aribeth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:58 pm 

hopeinsight wrote:
Hi Aribeth,
Welcome to this site. I am new also. First of all - I'm happy to hear you and baby are doing so well after all you have been through. I know you your emotions aren't doing so well and that is understandable! Besides your emotions after a baby and then the pap news. I don't have all the answers to your ?'s but Fredo will be back on during the week with more info for you. There is a lot of info on this site just by reading through comments from others and Fredo.
I had a normal pap but tested positive for HPV. I'm going back to my doctor this Fri. for a consultation. I have many ?'s and want her time for all of them. Maybe you could call and request a consutation before your next appt. / even a phone consult may help so you don't have to wait.
Enjoy your baby, rest as much as you can. Hopeinsite.

thank you he is a handful but i am happy to have him. i hope everything goes well for you on friday. at first i felt dirty and gross and really slammed myself when i found out but as i look at it now its life and as i read its so common its amazing how many of us can have it and never knew. its nice that so many of us dont have to feel alone :) im not mad at my partner because it could have been around with me sicne i was a teen and he could have had it too and no matter what sicne guys cant be tested yet i still cant get mad at any male i slept with because i know if they knew they had it they would have said. im just glad they got good tegnology today now for stuff like this and cervical cancer. when i see my gyn i most certainly will be asking so many questions. what i dont understand is why now and i feel maybe the stress and pregnancy made it come out more sicne i had problems with my cervix during pregancy. anwyays thanks for the welcome and i really hope things turn out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Aribeth,

Welcom to these boards and we're certainly glad to have you join us. HPV can indeed be latent for many years before anything is detected, and pregnancy is thought to be a catalyst in many cases for the virus to "wake up" if you will. Pregnancy by its nature is a time of a suppressed immune system along with enormous physical/emotional stress.

Pap tests done regularly are wonderful in preventing cervical cancer, but they are a means of looking for cervical cell changes such as those caused by HPV, not the virus itself. A woman with cervical HPV who has no associated cell changes at the time of her exam will likely have a normal Pap test result.

I'm sure you learned a great deal from reading hopeinsight's post. Let us know if you have other questions.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]