ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why me!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 am 

This summer I received 2 letters from the gynecology but I was like meh I will go and do it later (the pap) , the third letter was certificate and I got concern. But well here is my story I just find out I was positive and high risk HPV to 13 types (16,18,31,33,35,39,45, 51, 52, 56, 58,59,68). I been married for the last 14 years, I never cheat on my husband but we are going thru a divorce now, and I'm scare, They will do the test again today, but I never hear of this before and I dont feel sick, My Pap was normal nothing bad...and I been reading like crazy, there are things I can't understand I am upset with him, because He want the divorce he walk off, and in the end I finish with HPV....I been dealing with Menopause for the pass 7 years , Im oficially menopausic is been 4 years I dont have period at all too. Thats why I was very surprise when this results came on. I did not though I could be sick, Im brokenheart here, anybody can explain some more please? I was really diagnos with HPV summer of 2009 when we were still living together. Im just 42 year old...just now I find out because of the letter of the doc send asking me to go back to the office to repeat Pap and the other test...

My questions:

I was just diagnos, I been with him for the pass 14 years, it is possible he had it or even me before and just now show up?

When people said clean..it mean you dont have it any longer? does anybody can get infected by you even you are 'clean'

Im very upset and hurt right now because I want to look forward and have hope that not everything is bad in life and now with this who want to really date a sick person...

My inmediate reaction was that he give it to me as he want the divorce and he was unfaithfull, but Im so confuse, because both have previus partners before.

Sorry for my english, is not my native language, but I search and I found this place, I feel I can talk here because I did not tell anybody yet...he dont even know he have it either. what can I do?

How to prove he have it too? is not like you know who is the transmiter and the receiver no?

Post subject: Re: Why me!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:56 am 

It is possible that will be a false positive to HPV? I went to the doctor and she explain me is not the first time that could happen, She redo the test, but all of this is so confusing. *sighs* Somebody know? just want to cry so loud....

Post subject: Re: Why me!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for posting your story. This can all be very confusing, upsetting, I know, so I'm glad you found us.

First, it's very common for women to have HPV. In fact, by age 50 it's estimated at least 80% of women have had an HPV infection. Most women with HPV never have an abnormal Pap test as a result, so it's not surprising your Pap is normal. Even when Paps are abnormal, though, there is seldom much danger and things can usually be managed well enough. It's just important that you return for follow-up exams as recommended, which you've indicated you're doing.

It's hard in most cases to really know how long one might have had HPV before it was detected. The immune system usually clear the virus within a couple of years but not always....in some cases it hangs around longer, which is why the follow-up exams are important.

Just keep one thing in time - you are very normal! You're not sick or damaged, not at all.

Please post anytime you have questions or would just like to chat.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]