ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:47 pm 

I am 22 years old and just recently had a pap which came up with abnormal cells, pap came back positive for low grade squamous intraepithelia (LSIL) and positive for high risk HPV. This is my first ever abnormal pap smear (which I know HPV can lay dormant for months even years). I then had a coloscopy & biopsy done about a week and a half ago, still waiting on the test results from the coloscopy & biopsy but when they were doing the test and put that vinegar solution on my cervix she said there were two little spots that turned white at first she thought it was just discharge and tried to wipe it off and it wasn't so she cut them off to have them tested. I am so scared that they will call and tell me I need to have LEEP or a cone maybe even worse a hysterectomy I am a mess and scared to be told that I need any of that. I've been reading in a lot of blogs and comments and seen that people have said the LEEP or cone have caused scaring which resulting in healing the cervix closed which obviously means you can't have kids, I want kids I want to have a family but I am so scared that this will ruin everything. I don't even want to know the results of the coloscopy and biopsy because I'm scared they will tell me the worst! I know everyone keeps saying to not stress etc but its hard not to. I have been with my boyfriend for awhile now so I have told him about me being HPV positive he is being very supportive, my doctor told me it was ok for us to not use condoms still if we did not want to because by now we both have the same strand(s) of HPV I hope this is true becuase I have also been reading that people say I should wear condoms even because there is a such thing called a viral overload? I am really confused on if I should use one or not. I am also SUPER SCARED of HIV/AIDS as I have been reading alot and they say this can be one of the STD's that will make you more prone to also being HIV/AIDS positive... I lost a uncle to AIDS so this puts me in overload with stress! Has anyone been in my position and have what I have and just been told that they just need to wait and watch it and come for more paps and it actually go 'away' I know it doesn't go away but goes dormant. I am trying to look for answers, my doctor is out for the next 2 weeks so I came here to ask for help in answering my questions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Your concerns are certainly understandable but we can tell you that most women are able to have children following treatment for cervical cell changes. See the items below for more on this.

Treatment is not always required, as HPV and related cervical abnormalities very frequently will clear naturally. So, sometimes the health care provider will take a watch and wait approach. In other cases, treatment is indicated, so ask your provider what they recommend based on all the test results, and don't be shy about asking questions.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has this to say at
http://www.acog.org/publications/patien ... /bp110.cfm:

Quote:
LEEP has been associated with an increased risk of future pregnancy problems. Although most women have no problems, there is a small increase in the risk of premature births and having a low birth weight baby. In rare cases, the cervix is narrowed after the procedure. This narrowing may cause problems with menstruation. It also may make it difficult to become pregnant.

Also, see what another professional organization says:
http://www.asccp.org/pdfs/patient_edu/cone_biopsy2.pdf

Quote:
In a small number of cases, a cone biopsy may increase the risk of preterm birth in subsequent pregnancies.. Because the impact on future childbearing for you may be unclear, you should discuss your plans and concerns with your health care provider.

I hope this helps. Please post anytime and let us know what you find out, if you don't mind.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]