ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 am 

My doctor called me 2 weeks ago and told me that I had an abnormal pap and that I needed to come in for a colposcopy and a possible biopsy if needed. Well they ended up doing a biopsy which didn't hurt at all. Now they just called me today to tell me that I have cervical dysplasia and that I needed to come in and talk to the doctor about how bad it is and the options. I go in Friday to talk to him. I have been married for 5 years now and have been with my husband for 9 years. We have two beautiful kids and I had a horrible time with both pregnancies. I have only been with my husband since we have been together. He had sex with several women before me though. Neither one of us have been unfaithful and I dont understand how this can just be showing up?? Is it possible that this is what could have caused all of my pregnancy problems?? Please help me understand!! I am scared to death and haven't been able to stop crying since I found out!!! :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for posting. What you're going through - and the questions you're asking- are all very common, to be sure.

First, virtually everyone who's sexually active gets one or more HPV infections in their lifetimes. A person might have the virus for weeks, months, even years before any indication of it emerges (in your case, an abnormal Pap test). Anything that stresses the immune system (pregnancy is certainly one thing) can serve as the catalyst for HPV to "wake up." HPV infections are often detected in established, faithful relationships.

Fortunately, they are rarely dangerous and would not be expected to complicate a pregnancy. The most important thing is to go for follow-up exams as directed by your health care provider. Cervical cell changes due to HPV often self-resolve and don't always require treatment. When treatment is indicated, it's generally an out-patient procedure that, along with those follow up exams I mentioned, has an excellent track record in protecting a woman's health. HPV infections are common, serious health outcomes related to the virus are not. Go for those follow up exams!

There's one take home point I want you to understand: you, and your husband, are very, very normal.

Post anytime, and I'd appreciate hearing from you after your next exam.

Best,
Fredo :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]