ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello again..
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 pm 

It's been some time since I posted here, but I just wanted to say hello to the great folks that participate in and moderate this message board.

It's been about a year and a half since my GW diagnosis, and I'm currently going on a month with no visible symptoms. I had a relatively mild case, which necessitated treatment every one to two months since my diagnosis.

The reason I'm posting today is that my girlfriend of the past year recently broke up with me. I'm pretty devastated, and haven't been able to move on, although it's been about a month. I think part of the problem is that I'm convinced that HPV is going to be a real barrier to finding that special person who I want to spend my life with.

I know that my body has likely cleared, or will likely clear the virus in the near future. I also know that women can get the Gardisil vaccine, and that many physicians will administer it to someone who is outside of the recommended age group. I also know that many -- most -- people who are sexually active will have one or more HPV infections in their lifetime, and that after my body clears this, I'm basically in the same spot as the blissfully unaware (but infected) majority.

So, why am I having such a hard time with this? I just feel like nobody will want me, or they won't take the time to understand that the risks of being with me are pretty minimal. I've had two serious relationships since my diagnosis, and neither girl thought it was a big deal, but I'm still having problems.

So, I guess I'm just here to say hello again, and to seek some support. I feel quite lonely these days, and still, at times, can not cope with my diagnosis very well. I keep telling myself that it's a harmless skin condition that will disappear shortly, likely to never return. Still, I can not in good faith go into a relationship -- even after the six month "clear" period -- without discussing this with a future partner.

Anyway, thanks for listening, all. I'm feeling a bit better having just written all of this down.

~Max~

Post subject: Re: Hello again..
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Max,

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you're doing. It's not unusual for a diagnosis of genital warts to carry some anxiety and concern, and I think you're pretty normal in that. You've had the stress of medical visits and symptoms you can actually see, so it stays fresh in your mind. Once you get to a point where the warts aren't there and you're not going for treatment, much of what you're feeling will likely start to ease up. It can be difficult in the meantime, no doubt!

Keep up posted and let us know how you're doing. It seems like you have a good perspective about the way HPV usually works, so let us know how we might help.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]