ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV types
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:26 am 

I received a test that is positive for HPV that says I have "low risk type CP6108."

Everything I read refers to the different types of HPV with just a one or two digit number. HPV 11 or HPV 16 or type 33 etc. What type is CP6108? I haven't been able to figure that out.
Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: HPV types
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guest,

I don't have much specific information about HPV CP6108 except to say it is indeed a "low risk" type with very little apparent cancer-causing potential. Genetically, it's related to two other "low risk" types, HPV 61 and 62. None of these types are commonly detected in HPV-related diseases ("low risk" HPV 6 and 11 cause approximately 90% of genital warts, while "high risk" types are found with about 70% of cervical cancers).

I hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 pm 

Hi Fredo,

oh yes, it helps to know that this is not only low risk, but not associated with any know disease and certainly not cancer or warts.

further questions:

1. When types 6 and 11 are called 'low risk' do it mean low risk of causing warts, though possible, or does it mean low risk of causing cancer, though possible?

2. When this type, CP6108 is 'low risk'-- just what is the risk for? apparently not cancer, not warts, . . . .then what?

3. If I understand you correctly, this is some 'other' kind of HPV than then ones usually screened for or detected or researched or discussed since it doesn't have a number like all the other ones I've read about (which includes listing 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 68, and 69 as high risk for cancer (with 16 and 18 the main ones) and 6 and 11 as causing warts. But it's also not type 61 or 62 though related to them. It doesn't even have it's own 'number' then.

4. Also, if this isn't implicated in any kind of pathological condition, does it then seem necessary to have a pap every 6 months rather than just once a year? I'm all for screening, but if this one doesn't cause cancer, doesn't cause cell changes, doesn't cause warts even--then why take up my time and the financial resources needed for a pap.

It seems this shouldn't really be called a low risk HPV--it made me think it might cause cancer, though there is a low risk of that, or some other undesirable consequence. Apparently it's pretty much at risk for nothing.

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

1. When types 6 and 11 are called 'low risk' do it mean low risk of causing warts, though possible, or does it mean low risk of causing cancer, though possible?

Low-risk refers to types of HPV that are rarely, if ever, found with cancers. These types of HPV are most often associated with warts. It's important to note that even high-risk types of HPV that are linked to cancer are seldom really dangerous.

2. When this type, CP6108 is 'low risk'-- just what is the risk for? apparently not cancer, not warts, . . . .then what?

I don't know anything specific about CP6108 apart from the very general info mentioned in my previous post. The fact it's a low-risk type means little if any cancer risk.

3. If I understand you correctly, this is some 'other' kind of HPV than then ones usually screened for or detected or researched or discussed since it doesn't have a number like all the other ones I've read about (which includes listing 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 68, and 69 as high risk for cancer (with 16 and 18 the main ones) and 6 and 11 as causing warts. But it's also not type 61 or 62 though related to them. It doesn't even have it's own 'number' then.

I've never heard of it before your post, to be honest!

4. Also, if this isn't implicated in any kind of pathological condition, does it then seem necessary to have a pap every 6 months rather than just once a year? I'm all for screening, but if this one doesn't cause cancer, doesn't cause cell changes, doesn't cause warts even--then why take up my time and the financial resources needed for a pap.

Sometimes the follow-up is just to check to see if anything is happening, even if the risk is low.

It seems this shouldn't really be called a low risk HPV--it made me think it might cause cancer, though there is a low risk of that, or some other undesirable consequence. Apparently it's pretty much at risk for nothing.

I wish I could offer you more, but if your health care provider used the term "low-risk" then apparently no cancer-linked types were detected. Why did they do an HPV test on you? Did you have an abnormal Pap, or is it something they do as part of your routine screening along with a Pap?

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]