ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharing A Shower
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 pm 

I have posted before about sharing toilets with roommates. Well, I'm a little worried about sharing a shower too. I will be getting a roommate soon, the first time I won't be living alone in a long time. I have never lived with anyone since I found out I had HPV. I've read enough to know I shouldn't share towels or wash clothes but as I took a shower tonight and saw suds flying everywhere I got a little worried. I wash with a loofa and so will my roommate probably and we will both leave our wash clothes or loofas in the shower. What if I wash my genitals which have a GW and then keep washing and eventually have the suds fly off onto the roommates loofa. Are there ways to transmit HPV by sharing a shower? Now please, be honest with me, am I being crazy in asking this. I can see how its a real long shot to transmit HPV this way but I can't help but feel like an infected person all the time and to have something that is contagious makes me worry. I'd love to know if others worry this much. I will be the first to admit that I've taken being careful to a new level but I can't help but worry about it. Its involuntary. I wish I could just tell myself its only a sexual disease and therefor I need to only tell partners but the research I've done tells me that it doesn't necessarily have to be an intimate setting to tranfer this. Can anyone relate to my way of thinking?
By the way, I must say, I am so thankful for this forum and Fredo and all of you because we are in this together and it helps to not feel alone, especially with a disease with a stigma attached to it like GW.

Post subject: Re: Sharing A Shower
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi again,

I think my comments about toilet seats are applicable to showers, too, so not much to really add.

Quote:
What if I wash my genitals which have a GW and then keep washing and eventually have the suds fly off onto the roommates loofa. Are there ways to transmit HPV by sharing a shower? Now please, be honest with me, am I being crazy in asking this

Well, not crazy, but worrying about things much more than you should! :)

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]