ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:22 pm 

I first want to say how much I love this forum. You are all so supportive, and got me through the roughest time of my life 3 years ago :).

I use to go by the name "Google," but had to change it because I forgot my password. Anyways, in July of 2007 I found out I had HPV after an abnormal pap smear. I turned to this forum for support, and boy did I get it. Thank you! After 3 years in June 2010 my pap smear finally came back normal, and I was HPV negative (happiest day of my life).

Today I am 9 weeks pregnant, and went to my first prenatal checkup. The drew my blood, and gave me a pap smear. I am a little worried because during the pap smear I started to bleed a little, which the dr. said sometimes happens. I am very paranoid about these things, and am wondering if maybe I started to bleed because the HPV came back. I heard that pregnancy tends to bring HPV back :(. I am a nervous wrack right now, I just want everything to go well with the pregnancy.

Also, I had a pretty stressful year last year, so I am wondering whether that could trigger the HPV to come back. Oh and of course my husband and I stopped using condoms because we were trying to get pregnant. In any case, how likely is it that my HPV is back?

Hope you can answer these for me, and thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Hello there!

I remember you and it's good to see you again, even though I wish it weren't because you're worried! First, congratulations on the pregnancy, good for you and hubby.

Ask your doctor for more on this as we can't give medical advice or opinions here, but I'm not aware that HPV is commonly thought of as a cause of bleeding during a Pap. HPV does sometimes emerge during pregnancy, but when this occurs there is seldom a risk to either mother or baby, and it tends to retreat after the baby is delivered. The key thing here is that even if HPV did happen to come back, there is rarely any issue with the pregnancy.

Check out this link for more on HPV and pregnancy: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/hpv-pregnancy

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing!

Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm 

okay, so the Dr. results came back and everything is normal :). Thank God! I can finally enjoy my pregnancy and keep my mind on positive and happy things. Thanks Fredo for your kind words :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update and glad you can now focus on the things that are really important, namely you and the baby!

Take care,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]