ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:07 pm 

So I originally joined this forum last year after being diagnosed with HSV2 in march. I am fine now, mentally, and I have a boyfriend and he know and he was tested and doesn't have it and i would like to keep it that way. During the same time i had my herpes diagnosis I had an abnormal pap and a colposcopy in march and another in september of last year. I found out in August that i have high risk hpv.

I told my boyfriend about my herpes and we have sex with condoms and when i don't have outbreaks. I am going to start suppressive therapy. But i have neglected to tell him about my hpv. To be honest i completely forgot i had it. MY doctor said that i don't have to tell him but after reading some of the things on this board im not so sure if my doctor is correct. The information is so scattered and contradictory sometimes that its so confusing and frustrating to know what to do. Should i worry ? Is it better to tell him?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm 

I have always felt that honesty is the best policy. But it really depends. Many people I spoke to prior to me unveiling the information to my girlfriend, said I should not tell her about it. I would have felt cheated if I know that my partner has something and didn't tell me. I'd say, tell him. That's me, at least. I would because then you'd be guilty for life. If he understands your condition of herpes, I'd say HPV is one thing he shouldn't worried about. Herpes seems more of a threat than HPV (in my opinion).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

I think it makes sense to have a discussion with a new partner, especially when the diagnosis is current, but you can argue either way about talking with a current partner. There's a risk of causing them anxiety over something they can't really do anything about regarding testing or treatment. It's always up to you, of course, but your health care provider's advice doesn't seem unreasonable.

Fredo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 pm 

thank you or your comments. I actually told him the next day and he doesn't care what i have. He wants to be with me and a couple of sti's are not going to stop him. I am pretty fortunate to be able to have such an open communication with him. I agree honesty is the best policy, that's how i try to live. This board is a great morale booster. Thank you.

Hills_Valleys

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]