ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 am 

My girlfriend does not have HPV, neither did we have any sexual contact. I tried to persuade her to take the Gardasil jabs and we were wondering if there are any side effects and what does the injection do and help? Are there any risk or anything involving the shots? Any additional information would be so much help, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Admin

The only common side effects are similar to what is seen with other vaccines: swelling, redness, and discomfort at the injection site. There are some reports of fainting after injection, but this too is hardly uncommon with vaccines and might be attributed to clinics not enforcing the protocol of having patients remain seated for a 10 minutes or so after getting the jab.

There is a lot of stuff n' nonsense on the Internet about the vaccines causing a host of problems...let me say that NO MAJOR adverse events (to use the official parlance) have been linked to either HPV vaccine, so don't be swayed be hysterical reports from anti-vaccine folks. Millions of doses of these vaccines have been distributed around the world, and the rate of major adverse events seen in the vaccinated population is no greater (and in some cases, actually lower) than what you'd expect to see at random in the general population.

Gardasil, manufactured by Merck, protects against the two HPV types (HPV 16 and 18, respectively) that are found in about 70% of cervical cancers, and also is effective against the two "low risk" types (HPV 6 and 11, respectively) that cause about 90% of genital warts.

Cervarix, made by GlaxoSmithKline, protects against HPV 16 and 18.

Both vaccines have shown to be safe, well-tolerated, and highly effective against the HPV types they cover.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:55 am 

Thank you, Fredo. I had to convince her that getting the Gardasil jab would be beneficial to her health and this might just help me in convincing her. But I also have another question, I am already infected with HPV, does taking the male vaccination for me works still? Or would I be wasting money?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am already infected with HPV, does taking the male vaccination for me works still? Or would I be wasting money?

It won't help with the HPV you may already have, but can still protect against other HPV types you don't have that the vaccine covers. Gardasil protects against the two "low risk" types found with most cervical cancers (HPV 6 and HPV 11) as well as the two "high risk" types linked with most cervical cancers (HPV 16 and HPV 18).

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]