ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: New and needs advice...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 am 

Hey, I have been recently diagnosed with genital warts. I am having a hard time accepting it as I am an individual who takes extreme precaution with regards to any sexual behaviour. I know HPV can be transferred even via a condom, but I am pretty sure of the person who gave it to me and am extremely angry because he didn`t use a condom when I told him to. :(

What I was wondering is how do people with genital warts go about telling a prospective boyfriend that you have them? Would you tell them before you even began testing the water so you are completely honest, or would you wait until you are ready to have sex and then risk the chance of him running as fast as he can in the opposite direction? If anyone has advice for me, let me know because as of right now I am a hermit when it comes to meeting anyone as I am embarrassed.

Also, I had the liquid nitrogen treatment but I am certain that it came back and was wondering if the liquid nitrogen treatment is effective or not? The health care professional I saw said that more often than not, she DID NOT see recurrences, yet everywhere I read it says you most likely will see a recurrence. Does anyone have the definitive answer with regards to the liquid nitrogen therapy?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:52 pm 

I don't have any advice on the liquid nitrogen treatment, having never undergone it myself, but I can weigh in on the "Tell/Not Tell" issue.

I wouldn't necessarily bring it up until you've reached the point in your relationship where physical intimacy is very likely. After all, why say it if you aren't sure you'll even want another date with the guy? Being responsible and being overly cautious are two very distinct things, and the first doesn't preclude you from having a social life.

If anything, just be more cautious about who you consider welcoming into bed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

No one treatment for genital warts is considered the best. Freezing warts with liquid nitrogen (a procedure called cryotherapyhttp://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#7) is a common approach. Recurrences can (and do) happen with any treatment, most often in the first three months. It's not common for warts to keep coming back over and over, though, as the immune system most often clears the virus eventually.

I agree with Serenity in that there's no need to mention warts right off the bat, but it is good to bring it up before having sex. Some key things to keep in mind:

*HPV is common. Almost all sexually active people have one or more HPV infections in their life
*There are usually no visible signs or symptoms
*HPV infections are usually harmless, especially those associated with genital warts (almost always due to "low risk" HPV types)
*The body typically clears HPV in time

I hope this helps. Post anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]