ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: multiple strains
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:21 pm 

hi..

my girlfriend has just been diagnosed with HPV. She called to cornfirm, and the nurse said she had 17 different stains, with 13 of them being high risk. Needless to say, we are freaking out. We haven't been able to talk to the doctor yet and we are out of the state. Is this a high amount of strains? Could some people please respond and tell us if they have more than one? Will this make it harder for the immune system to deal with? She is very healthy, non smoker, but I have seen a couple of articles that are very scary.

Thanks

Post subject: to: Notfair71
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:16 am 

Dear Notfair 71,
Welcome to the message board.
I understand the freaking out part. First of all I am so refreshed by the concern you have for your girlfriend. I'm sure you are both shocked at this news of multiple strands. I just had a phone conference with the RN at my GYN's today and she said:
I had multiple strands of HPV, low risk. My pap was normal
This is not uncommon for anyone testing HPV positive to have more than one. High or low.
My immune system over time - (some say within 1 -2 years,or less)can be a leading factor for a HPV negative repeat test result. Multi vit's with folic acid is good,(400msg is the daily recommended requirement, 600 for pregnant women) plus, good diet, proper rest, and the less stress the better. (in the post asking Fredo about tranfer factor treatment there is a link in that, that is informative, you will find other posts informational
also.)
Was your girlfriends pap abnormal? Keep in mind that keeping on top of the pap tests is key to the treatment preventing cancer. An abnormal pap does not means she has cancer. This is just showing that the cells are changing and it can be dealt with, many times by the women's own immune system.
Keep supporting each other and know there is much hope for you. Right now with emotions high, nothing seems much of normal. It will get better. This board has helped me. Post any other ?'s you may have. Many care how you are doing. You will get through this. hopeinsight

You are valuable, loveable, and can possess hope for the future. I've discovered that there is nothing compared to the "living hope" in my life, no matter what the diagnosis, nothing can take it away. hopeinsite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 am 

they took a sample because of a minor lesion on her cervix. The office replied by mail saying it was minor and nothing to worry about - and get re-checked in 3 months. In the fine print, it said "HPV effect". After calling, the nurse casually listed 17 strains of HPV she tested positive for... 13 of them high risk! I understand not wanting to freak us out, but we'd like to know if this many strains is unusual and should be more of a concern.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

You might want to have the doctor/nurse clarify whether or not any of this applies to your partner: the HPV test licensed for clinical use can run a general panel for "high risk" HPV (there is also a "low risk" panel that is sometimes done, but is used less often).

The "high risk" panel, for example, looks to see if there is ANY HPV DNA across MANY different types present, but doesn't say which
type(s) she might have, or how many. You often hear results similar to "positive for one or more of the following...." and then it rattles off about 13 types! Doesn't mean a woman has all these types, just that there is some "high risk" HPV DNA present that relates to at least one of the 13 types.

Now I can't interpret her test results so that's why I say to ask her doc/nurse, but in general I know that women are not likely to have 13 HPV types present. See what they can tell you.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22 am 

I'm just wondering if its really possible to have 17 different strains, I though you could only have a couple like two to three, but 17! Is that really possible? Does anyone know how they test for the strain, I dont even know what mine is and I want to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:46 pm 

I have to say that the world needs more men like you who are supportive to thier partners at times like this. I didn't realize that a person could have so many strains at once but the one thing i am learning about HPV is that ANYTHING is possible. Hopeinsight & Isis gave me some good advise and have been very supportive to me and i'm sure they will do the same for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:21 pm 

Hey NotFair71,

You are an awesome guy to stand by your girl!!!!! I applaud you on that and you are definitely a member of the Billionaire Boys Club in my book ( smile) . Your DIVA will need you as much as possible but you guys can still have a great relationship.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon for someone to have that many strains of the virus. The high risk strains are the types that are most linked to cervical cancer. Here are a couple of sites:

www.thehpvtest.com
www.maketheconnection.org

Your lady love needs to keep her appointments with her doctor and to make sure there is no abnormal cervical cell development. Keep in mind this a very common virus but it doesn't mean the end of your relationship. You can still enjoy a healthly sense of well being.

Also there is a section for HPV and Men on www.cdc.gov. It's very informative.

With time, her immnue system can overcome this virus. Her main goals should be proper diet, less stress, plenty of rest and etc. I've had HPV for about 18 months and my best friend had the high risk , 12 strains in all but with time she beat this thing with taking care of herself. Now she has two bouncy baby girls who wear her out with and this was after her diagnosis.

Hang in there and if you or your girlfriend have questions, tell gher to send them our way and hopefully we can help :D . You two have nationwide friends to help and one from the Lone Star State ( me ) willing to give you as much advice possible. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]