ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:41 pm 

In the early 2000's my present wife began a sexual affair with a man infected with HPV. The affair ended in August 2007. In June 2006 she had had two warts removed from her vagina.
We married in 2008, then in our mid sixties. I read that the body usually cured itself of HPV within a couple of years and I assumed that is what had happened to her. Then in November last year another two warts appeared on her vagina. She had them removed. Now, April 2011 two more have appeared on her vagina.
During our sexual activity my fingers come into contact with her vagina. Last month I noticed that two small, hard, bony lumps had appeared on my hand. One adjacent to the knuckle on the side my thumb and the other just above the knuckle on the side of my middle finger. By now the lumps have virtually disappeared.

I have two questions.
1) Will my wife ever be rid of HPV or will the warts continue to reappear? Is it possible to use drugs to get rid of HPV?
2) Were the lumps on my thumb and finger connected with HPV?

Post subject: Re: HPV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Admin

1) Will my wife ever be rid of HPV or will the warts continue to reappear? Is it possible to use drugs to get rid of HPV?

I can't predict the course this may take with your wife, and can only address this in general terms of what is typical, which I understand is frustrating. Long-term persistence of HPV, that is, having warts that just come back ceaselessly, is not common because, as you state, the immune system usually figures out how to clear or suppress the virus over time. HPV infections in older women (and keep in mind that in the HPV world, "older" is used beginning around age 30) can be more stubborn, as they are in people of any age who might have any issues that weaken or slow down the immune response (smoking, having certain medical conditions, taking drugs that suppress the immune system, and who knows what else).

If she's yet to do so, she might address the issue with her health care providers, asking if they recommend anything that might be of help with recurrences. While this should not be taken as a recommendation or advice, I will mention that a couple of small studies suggest that couples who share HPV and use condoms clear the virus a bit more quickly than those who don't use condoms.

2) Were the lumps on my thumb and finger connected with HPV?

Here as well there is no way I can say yes or no, but will tell you this is an unlikely scenario. The types of HPV that cause genital warts don't often cause warts outside of the anogenital or oral areas. Speaking to that last point: While oral warts are hardly an epidemic, it's probably a good idea not to have oral sex while warts are present.

I do hope this helps. Please post any additional queries you may have.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]