ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm 

Male, 22, gay. Visited my doctor on Monday with a rash on my bottom. Have always used protection so wasn't overly worried. Was informed it was genital warts caused by HPV, was given cryotherapy and a pamphlet and sent on my way. Read the pamphlet and did some research online, even went as far as calling the CDC info line and talking to a representative. Every new detail scaring me more and more. The way my doctor (who I've been seeing my entire life) talked to me about it, so nonchalantly, I didn't even bother asking him questions about it. Assumed that the cryotherapy would get rid of the warts and I'd be back to normal. Obviously after researching and talking to the representive from the CDC, I've learned otherwise and don't even know where to begin to start "living with the disease."

From what the representative told me, I've gathered that 1) I will always be infected/carry the virus and 2) any sex I have can spread the infection to the person I'm having sex with, even when I don't have visible symptoms. So basically I can NEVER have sex again without the risk of infecting my partner? The CDC website also had this to say "But HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now." Can someone explain this? If its an incurable disease, how is it that it "will not be there a year from now?" That is the only sentence I've read that has given me hope, however, I think I'm misunderstanding what its actually saying. The link to the website is " http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm " and the sentence is under the heading "Is there a test for HPV in men?"

I realize that there are worse things and some people have worse problems from the disease, but (as selfish and self-centered as it sounds) as a young male who just recently became sexually active, its "devastating" to find out I can never have sex again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:11 pm 

Another question that I've been wondering about and forgot to ask. **Explicit Sexual Detail to Follow** I've heard stories about getting warts on the inside of the anus/rectum that must be surgically removed. If this is true, is it possible to spread the infection to myself? I have warts between my scrotum and anus To be blunt about it, with the use of toys or fingers is it possible to "pick up" the virus from the warts and relocate/infect other parts of my body, including inside my anus/rectum or my penis? Also, I was told that any genital area now can infect other non-infected genital areas, so even though I don't have warts on my penis, I can still infect someone by touching them with my penis? Basically all touching below the belt is off-limits? I feel so ignorant, and I'm sure all of this has been discussed before, but a direct answer to my questions in one place would be appreciated more than you can imagine.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on any of my questions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:36 pm 

As to your first post, from everything I've learned about HPV, the representative you spoke to wasn't giving you the real story. Contracting HPV is NOT an automatic life sentence. There is a lot of research which suggests that most cases are rooted out, or at least very well suppressed by the immune system over time. Some research studies state that up to 90% of cases where patients test positive for HPV test negative for it within two years, if not sooner. There is currently no FDA approved screening test for men, however. Some research suggests that use of the topical solution Aldara not only helps get rid of warts, but can help substantially reduce the likelihood of a recurrence. Men can also get vaccinated against other strains of HPV by getting treated with Gardasil shots. Also, keep in mind that the strains that cause warts can ONLY do just that. They can't threaten your health, they are just annoying.

Add to this the fact that 80% of sexually active people will get HPV at some point. It's so common, that It's becoming known as the "common cold" of STIs. There's a ton of misinformation on the internet, as well as hoaxes, so stick to web sites like asha.org, the CDC, etc. Also, not every doctor, nurse or even CDC representative is always up to speed on the latest research. One nurse at my clinic, which is run by a WORLD expert, once told me that EVERY strain of HPV causes warts, when in fact, 90% of warts cases result from just two of the strains. Ridiculous! Be careful who you get your information from. May I suggest Fredo, the moderator of this forum.

My suggestion is to get your warts treated and use Aldara as a supplementary treatment. If you can afford it, get vaccinated with Gardasil as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]