ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:38 pm 

Hi everyone,
It's been about a year since I posted on here but I found it so helpful during my last time of crisis that I decided to give it another go.
Just a little bit of background... last June I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia... the low-grade kind. I had only had two partners before then and used condoms every time, so go figure. Just shows that it can happen to anyone, I guess. There is a tiny chance I may have been exposed to the "wart strain" through brief sexual contact, but I described what happened to the doctor and he said it was very unlikely, especially given that the incubation period did not align (had only been 3 weeks or something.)

I had a colposcopy and it showed the low-grade changes so we decided to watch and wait. Had another exam in December and it showed AS-CUS, which I took to mean that things may have improved...(although maybe I shouldn't have thought that. I can't exactly remember what the doc said except to come back in six months).

Last week (April) I was at the doctor (not my gyno, the regular one) for a urinary tract infecton and he said during the exam that he noticed my cervix was "inflamed." Since then I have been in a state of high anxiety, thinking that this means things have either worsened or that (worst of all in my mind, bc I am a bit of a hypochondriac) that I have developed warts on my cervix. I have an appointment with the gyno next week Thursday and a bunch of exams and papers due before then and am finding it hard to concentrate. I can't get an appointment any earlier.
What are the chances that this means the infection has gotten worse? What are the chances that it is now warts? Could it be something unrelated to hpv (I suspect this is unlikely)?
Does a change from LGSIL to ASCUS means things have improved, or is it not so clear?
Thanks everyone, hope to hear back.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gal,

Welcome back, but sorry that you have an issue to deal with. Hmm, did you doctor give you any insight at all into what the possible causes of the cervical inflammation might be?
Cervical inflammation is pretty common, with half or more of women estimated to be dealing with it at some point in their lives. There can be different things that cause it; STDs and warts to be sure, but other things too. Sometimes even bacteria that grow naturally in the vagina can do it.

Read more about it here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001495.htm and if you don't mind, let us know what you find out.

LGSIL (or sometimes LSIL) and ASC-US both typically indicate mild/minimal cervical cell changes. ASC-US is a pretty non-specific finding, but in either case there usually isn't much going on. Follow-up can involve anything from an HPV test to just repeating the Pap in 6-12 months. The risk of anything problematic arising in that time frame from either Pap reading is low. In most cases, especially with younger women, both ASC-US and LSIL Paps resolve naturally.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 am 

Hi again everyone,
Fredo, thanks for your reply! It was nice to feel heard.
I just wanted to post a quick update (good news, as far as I can tell).
I ended up going to see the doctor yesterday (thank God I was able to get an appointment- it was shorter than the time allotted for my annual checkup, but he graciously agreed to do my PAP then since I was so concerned).
He looked at my cervix and said it looks completely fine. Can't describe how relieved I was. He said that the other doctor (a GP) who saw me last week probably just doesn't have as much experience with female reproductive organs and may have had a hard time distinguishing cervical inflammation.
He also said that women who take birth control often have a more "fleshy" looking cervix and that might have been what he saw.
Told me that we do not know the strain I have and that there is no way to tell (whether the test is not offered in my part of the country or what, I am not sure). He did say that the longer that time passes the less likely I am to spontaneously develop warts, which was welcome to hear (especially given my concerns).
I had the PAP done and should get the results next week. He said if it's LSIL again we will probably repeat the colposcopy (has been a year since my initial diagnosis).
He was also incredibly reassuring that warts ARE treatable and said their presence is heavily stigmatized for little good reason. It truly is a blessing to have a doctor so patient and reassuring.
Well, thanks for listening! Some of the stories on here are really inspiring.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for that update, and glad to hear that things are looking good AND you have such a good relationship with your doctor. Take care and stop by again sometime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]