ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:52 am 

I've had HPV for over a year, my finance cheated on me and left me with a nice little gift when I was twenty! It has been such a struggle to get rid of the genital worts, and I'm still not done fighting the battle! I started with creams but it didn't help and now I've been having to do the TCA treatment where they literally burn off the worts with acid. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or is about to and has any advise or supporting words! Its the most painful thing I've ever had to go through and just wanted to know if anyone out there might understand what I'm going through! I've been struggling with HPV for a long time so if anyone that has just been diagnosed has any questions I'm here to help too! Just remember that HPV is a disease but its not a death sentence and it dosn't make you any less of a person even though it can feel like it! I'm here if anyone needs to talk!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Admin

We're glad to have you on the boards, Jane. It sounds like you've been through a great deal with all this. Treatments to remove warts work better with some cases than others, and it's not uncommon for the therapy to need to be repeated, or for another method to also be used at some point. With the creams applied at home, for example, even if they don't totally remove the warts they can still sometimes reduce the size of the lesions, so it might be a bit easier to remove with another method.

Read more on treatment options at http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_warts.cfm#7.

Post often!
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:33 am 

Hey BGJane,

You looking at someone who has done and preferred the TCA acid treatment for my warts. True it's not the most comfortable thing in the world but so far this has been the best treatment option for my situation. Usually for the pain and swelling, I will take an Aleve or Advil. Next I let the skin do it's thing and crust and fall away . I also use Polysporin to help in the healing process and reduce any minor possibility of infection.

So true, I understand what you are going through. The first few days are tough. The stinging and burning while applying the acid is not a swim in the pool and the healing time can go from a few days to a few weeks but for me it has been one of the better options. This is the process I went through.

1. An hour before the treatment, I take a pain killer such as tylenol, aleve or advil to help reduce pain and swelling
2. The acid is applied and the first few minutes but no longer than 30 minutes, there is a slight burning and stinging feeling
3. There is next a tightening in the burn area , the wart is "dying", the skin turns a pale color almost frost white. Thskin may look like it's cracking or leathery in appearance
4. A few days pass and the wart falls off, the acid is still working so the spot is red and tender. This is where I pay close attention to the area because in some cases acid can burn deeply and may form ulcerations in rare cases. At this stage and through the other stages, I apply Polysporin or Neopsporin. I prefer Poly because it doesn't contatin the neomycin ingrediant. But either will suffice

5. The swelling has reduced and the skin begins to grow back but in the face, you will see that yucky white healing skin. This is normal. The immune system is kicking in and the area will still be tender and swollen a little. Soon the bur closes but it will look slightly discolored.

6. After a few weeks the color returns, swelling is gone and the skin appears healthy, normal and new. The process can take a few days to a few weeks. The pain has also gone.

That's pretty much what I go through. The process is similar to BCA acid and Condylox gel which you can apply at home.

I hope that helps but post if you have any questions.

Isis
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:04 pm 

On step 5, I meant to say in it's place you will see the white yucky skin.

Sorry about that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:58 pm 

thanks for your experience i appreciate knowing that someone else has gone through it! It sucks! I must have a particularly bad strain or something because i've gone through the tca treatment eight times so far and i'm still not done! But it is getting better! i'm so glad this board is here!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:08 pm 

I understand how you feel. The first year, I did 10 treatments but as time progressed, the treatments have become less and less. Just give your body time. Sometimes it can take up to two years or a little longer to wipe out.

Hang in there. This is the toughest part :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]