ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:10 pm 

Hey.. So today I was diagnosed with genital warts, so HPV. I am 19 years old and went on my own today and am still in shock that I have an STD. I'm so angry.. The person who gave it to me has been having an outbreak for a month and continued to sleep with me, well aware that he was most likely going to infect me. I have so much anger in my body.. But I know that I should not do anything stupid. I have so many questions that have been left unanswered and the only person I have to talk to is actually the guy who transfered it to me ex-girlfriend.. She was the one who called me last night to tell me what had happened. I got them treated today and it was one of the most painful things that I have ever felt in my entire life.. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to go away, and what is going to happen within the next few days? I'm so mad.. I feel like I am never going to be able to have sex again, and that I have no one to talk to. Is it better for people who have HPV to sleep with other HPV people? I just want to know what I should do to keep this extremely under control.. I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you guys so much.. This is all I have.

Last edited by Whyme23 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: me TOO!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:24 pm 

Hey i know exactly how you feel. I'm 19 and I just found out too. But i dont know WHO i got it from!! i'm pretty freaked out too. my doctor didnt tell me anything about what happends after the warts are treated. so if you find out anything soon, let me know too. good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 pm 

I do under stand how you feel. When I was first diagnosed, I was angry, confused, mad at the world and everything. But I'm here to tell you things will get better. HPV is the most common sti out there. What you were diagnosed with is considered low risk HPV, the warts are are less likely to cause any cervical changes. There are other forms known as hig-risk which can cause cervical changes.

The procedure you had done is known as a chemical peel from what I could gather from your message. This will burn off the warts you currently have however, HPV is a virus and there is no cure but your body has a nifty way of controlling the virus. With time your immune system can either suppress it so it doesn't bother you or rid itself completely of the HPV. The best thing you can do is keep your immune system strong. Many people who have HPV don't know they have it because there are no symptoms of the virus in most people except the warts and abnormal pap smears. There are no test for men they can only know if they have a wart.

The best thing to do is reduce your stress . Stress can bring on more warts but please believe it's not the end of the world. You can still have children and have a normal life.

I know that's hard to beleive but it's true.

The treatment will usually go something like this.

1. The warts are burned and you will feel stinging or pain during the first skin contact.

2. Soon the skin will turn a frost color With a leathery appearance. Within a few days, the wart will fall off and you may have a swollem, red tender spot. This is your immune system killing the virus on location. Keep any eye on that location . In rare cases ulceration can occur. You can also use an antibiotic ointment if you like to reduce any infection that may occur. Also you can take tylenol or advil , aleve to reduce any pain.

As the skin heals, you may see the white yucky skin but that is your body healing . be patient.

The skin will close and be discolored but soon you will have normal skin. Keep in mind, the warts can come back. They are virus.

Also HPV is usually skin to skin contact so even if you use protection, it is still possible to contract HPV.

That's the cliff note version but if you have any questions, post a note. I 'm here to help if you and the whole board is here for you. Don't beat yourself up . What happened is not your fault . Before any sexual relationship make sure you have the talk and in some cases, guys will accept you for who you are and not the virus

Isis :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:10 pm 

Oh before I forget, this virus is sneaky.

The virus can lay dormany for weeks , months and sometimes years before it appears so it's hard to tell who gave it you or when you got it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:04 am 

Honestly, I know that this is soooo hard right now, and there is so much emotion and anger, confusion, and questions, but just be thankful that your fiance (the only man I had ever been with at the time) didnt cheat on you with a japanese hooker and give you hpv and then leave you without telling you and then less than six months later breakout with it. Thats my story, i dont know if it makes you feel any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:51 pm 

I have a random question to add to this, but today I noticed a little blood when I.. wiped.. Would that be from a wart that has been treated with acid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:18 pm 

If the blood is coming from that spot, it is possible. My first treatment , I bled a little and it freaked me out. The acid is working deeper but try not to worry. That is the nature of the acid. It is an erosion type effect. If possible get some antibiotic ointment and place on the area (s) after showering at least 1 - 3 times a day if you want. The Polysporin is excellent but if you like then you can get Neosprin . The Polysporin doesn't contain the neomycin ingrediant that some people are allergic to.
Even the store brand ointments are excellent

Keep the areas burned clean and dry. If this is still going on for a ehile and is bothersome, call your doctor. Also if you can get a mirror and a small flashlight and look to see if the blood is coming from that spot as well.

Keep a close eye on the burn spot, remember I told you in earlier post, the acid in rare cases can cause ulceration. Hopefully this is not the case. Also, the skin treated is peeling away and bleeding can happen. Again you can apply an antibiotic ointment to the location.

Post me if you need me. I will be at my PC most of the night working on some stuff :D

Isis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:18 pm 

If the blood is coming from that spot, it is possible. My first treatment , I bled a little and it freaked me out. The acid is working deeper but try not to worry. That is the nature of the acid. It is an erosion type effect. If possible get some antibiotic ointment and place on the area (s) after showering at least 1 - 3 times a day if you want. The Polysporin is excellent but if you like then you can get Neosprin . The Polysporin doesn't contain the neomycin ingrediant that some people are allergic to.
Even the store brand ointments are excellent

Keep the areas burned clean and dry. If this is still going on for a while and is bothersome, call your doctor. Also if you can get a mirror and a small flashlight and look to see if the blood is coming from that spot as well.

Keep a close eye on the burn spot, remember I told you in earlier post, the acid in rare cases can cause ulceration. Hopefully this is not the case. Also, the skin treated is peeling away and bleeding can happen. Again you can apply an antibiotic ointment to the location.

Post me if you need me. I will be at my PC most of the night working on some stuff :D

Isis

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]