ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: so many questions!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:11 am 

so ok, you can clear up the symptoms of hpv right? But the actual virus doesnt go away for awhile..so after the warts are gone, you still have hpv, but can you still spread it at that point? my boyfriend and i both want to know how long we have to wait to have sex again, my doctor kind of implied it was going to be a long time...we're pretty sure that he doesnt have hpv, so can i still infect him? im so just...confused about this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:35 am 

Doctor's are not sure if your body completely wipes out HPV or reduces the viral load. After 2 years ( that's a long time ), most people are no longer bothered by warts or HPV. Even if you use condoms, it's still possible to contract the virus because HPV is skin to skin contact.

This will have to be a choice between you and your partner. Hopefully our moderator Fredo will have some answers that can ease your fears. Fredo is awesome on this subject ( Hi Fredo). :D

I would say at this early in HPV the possibility of infecting your partner is there. Have you ever tried the famel condom? This can cover more surface area and possibly reduce transmission. Also HPV is more likely to be transmitted when warts are present.My doctor always told me to not have sex when warts are present becuase transmission is at there highest.Also if there is an abnormal pap smear reading, refrain from sex until the infected area is treated. It is less likely to transmit when there are no signs and symptoms

The main concern with HPV is cervical cancer which is more affiliated with high risk HPV virus strains.
Also keep in mind HPV can lay dormant in your body for weeks, months and in some cases years before it shows up. This is where it gets difficult to determine when you got it.

There are no test for men so it's even more difficult to say if a guys had it unless he has genital warts .

I know it's frustrating but I'm sure others on the board can help. Keep posting and keep checking the boards for others who can give you advice on this thing.

Again this a personal choice between you and your partner.

Post subject: 'nother question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:50 pm 

thank you so much! i have another question though, i was looking around the internet for more information, and i came across a bit of information that i want to ask about..i read that in some studies (theres only been a couple) that using a product (like a lubricant) that contains carrageenan will help protect you from hpv (among one or 2 other things) and possible get rid of the warts.....is there ANY truth in that, that anyone knows of???? cuz the website listed a 2 or 3 products that were used in the studies, and i bought one, but i dunno if there is any truth to that, and if there is, i might use it.... lemme know!! THANKS SO MUCH!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]