ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:08 pm 

Hi Fredo,
I have recently been diagnosed with HPV and have been notified of a presence of squamos cells. I am to go in for a biopsy next week, and had a few questions that have me very concerned.
Since it is quite possible that i have had HPV for a long time, are the chances of it leaving on its own any time soon slim?
If it turns out that i do have to go in for the "LEEP" procedure to remove any cancerous cells in the cervix, will the HPV remain present? If so, does that not mean i will always be at high risk for developing cervical cancer? How many times can a "LEEP" be done?
What are the chances of the cervical cancer spreading? Do i need to be concerned about more serious problems in the future? (Hysterectomies, etc.)
Thank you :?

Post subject: p.s.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:15 pm 

I would like to congradulate, thank and commend you on such a wonderful, supportive and informative site. Amazing. Having a support system like this i'm sure is comforting to SO many people.
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:57 pm 

Hello,

First off, without a biopsy, you cannot say that you have cervical cancer. I am not sure about your history or anything but most likely you will have precancerous lesions that are termed either LSIL or HSIL.

Once you have HPV it will be with you forever as I understand it, as it lives in your epithelial cells. Its kind of like chicken pox, which is caused by Herpes Zoster....one you get the virus it stays with you forever, but it remains in a dormant state. HPV is similar in the sense that you can still have the virus but that does mean that it is active. This is why having a good immune system is important because it helps to clear active virus.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]