ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Contracting HPV?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:31 pm 

So I just found out that my boyfriend cheated on me with a girl who has HPV. I only learned this after having sex with him the night before.
At this point, I know that it's spread through skin to skin contact, not fully preventable by using condoms, and that there's no test available for men.
I'm just wondering, if he's (to my knowledge) not showing any visible symptoms, and the only sex we've has been protected, is there any reason for me to rush off and get tested right away? Insurance-wise, I'm not due for a Pap test for a few more months.
Basically, I've read about as much as I can, and have the facts straight. I know that this is a ridiculously common and manageable virus. I'm just looking for functional advice from people who have been through the whole shebang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 pm 

Hello Duckie86,

Cute name by the way. As far as contracting HPV, this is a tricky virus. In order to find out if you have a high risk strain of HPV, those usually show up as an abnormal pap smear. If you have a low risk straing, those usually show up as warts. You can still contract HPV even if there are no visible signs present.

Even if you had protected sex, if the condom didn't cover the area where a wart is , it is possible to still contract HPV. It's skin to skin so that's just a chance we take whenever we are active. Female condoms offer more surface protection than male condoms, but at any rate condoms can help reduce transmission. Also with HPV , you won't se a point of entry wound or nothing like that and HPV can lay dormant in the body for weeks, months and sometimes years before any symptoms show up

If your pap isn't due for a few months, try to hold out until then and just mention to your doctor during your next visit of a possible HPV exposure. Keep a watch for warts on the genital skin as well until your next visist. there are many treatment options but let's hope you won't have to experience those ( smile ).

It's extremely common and many people aren't aware of the virus. However, by researching like you did you are already ahead of the game

If you need any other questions answered just post em!!!!! Me and my other friends on the board are going through this and we are here to help you as much as we can plus we are a bunch of fun - loving and supportive guys and gals willing to help :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]