ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: comprehensive testing
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:31 am 

Hi, I have recently started dating a new guy and before we become sexually active, I'd like us both to be tested for STIs. When we see our healthcare providers, should we just ask for a comphrehensive STI panel? If so, what specific tests does that normally include? I know guys can't be tested for HPV, but I'll ask to be tested at my next Pap, though since I'm under 30, I don't know if my insurance will cover it. Does the "comprehensive" test include HSV-1 and HSV-2? I assume that it includes chlamydia and gonorrhea. Neither one of us has has sex in a few years, nor have we had any symptoms of any STIs, but I just want to make sure we're both safe and not passing anything on to each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:31 am 

Hey Sunny,

The basic comprehensive test only checks for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia since these are the most common STIs. Some also check for Syphillis but when you go in, ask for:

Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Syphillis, Herpes Specific Test, HIV. Of course you know about the HPV Test but during your next pap they can do that for you as well as check the outside surface for any warts.Your insurance should cover it because the new pap smears (ex Thin Prep) look for abnormal cell tissue growth from some HPV strains.

If there are any other questions, just ask away. We are all here to help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:50 pm 

Thanks, Isis, that was very helpful. What do you guys think about Hep C? I got the Hep B vaccination several years ago, but how common is Hep C? Is it sexually transmitted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:10 pm 

Check out the ASHA website. There is great information on all the types of Hepatitis straons. Hep C is possible to transmit sexually although it is not as common as Hep B through sexual transmission.Hep C is trasmitted more by blood and like B can stay with you for a lifetime :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]