ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Molluscum Contagiosum
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 pm 

I have recently been diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum. I'm confused about how I could have contracted the virus. From the research I've done, molluscum contagiosum is not related to HPV and/or gential warts and can be easily spread through simple skin to skin contact. What I wonder is, how long can someone carry molluscum contagiosum before the symptoms show up? I've had the same sexual partner for over a year and have never had a problem like this. Is it possible that I could have contracted it from sources outside my relationship (such as touching a faucet or towel that was previously infected) or should I be concerned about the monogamy of my partner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Hi JoeJoe,

Molluscum contagiosum virus (MCV) is most often transmitted sexually, but not always. From the ASHA site: "MCV may be transmitted from inanimate objects such as towels and clothing that come in contact with the lesions. MCV transmission has been associated with swimming pools and sharing baths with an infected person."

"MCV also may be transmitted by autoinoculation, such as touching a lesion and touching another part of the body. To stop from further spreading the infection, do not shave over or close to areas that are visibly infected."

The incubation period is usually several months, ranging up to about six months. Read up on MCV at http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_mc.cfm#3

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Post subject: Molluscum Contagiosum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:13 pm 

Thanks Fredo. I read the information on the website before posting. That's how I found this board. My dermatologist said when molluscum contagiosum shows up across the abdomin region, which is where mine showed up, it is most likely contracted sexually. Of course, I can't rule out the possibility of picking it up randomly but I haven't shared a pool, bath, shower, clothing, or bed sheets with anyone in a very long time. I guess my main question at this point is how long after you've been exposed to the virus do the symptoms show up? Is it possible for someone to carry the virus for an extended period of time (say, a year) before symptoms ever show up? Can people be "carriers" of the virus without ever having symptoms? There doesn't appear to be a lot of information online about molluscum contagiosum that would answer questions like these. Perhaps the answers are still unknown.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]