ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ascus Pap Results
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:21 pm 

Hi, I just found this board. I've been married to the same man for almost 32 years. We were both virgins when we married. Over the last ten years or so I've had ASCUS paps every now and then. They tell me not to worry. I'm also HPV negative. Last week I found out it's ASCUS again after four years of normal ones. They usually tell me to come in for a repeat in six months. This time they said I could come back in a year, 4-6 months or have a colposcopy. I'm scared to death!!!! My appt. isn't until the Aug. 14th. I don't think I have anything to worry about, but I am a terrible worrier and have anxiety alot. I'm meeting with my doctor on Monday just to discuss my anxiety over this. I was my choice, but I think if I didn't have the colpo, I'd always wonder. Can anyone help please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Hello Deb,

ASC-US Pap test results are common and can be related to a host of things; HPV-related cell changes are one possibility, but others include those that might obscure a cell sample: the presence of yeast or menstrual fluid, recent intercourse, tampon use, or douching, or a mistake in the prep of the sample.

To sort this out, it's reasonable to have a woman return later for another Pap (usually in 4-6 months), or to do an HPV DNA test. The way it normally works is if the woman either has another abnormal Pap test (ASC-US or higher) or is positive for "high risk" HPV on the HPV test, she's then referred to colposcopy. Sometimes healthcare providers don't stick to this to the letter, as you have to take individual factors in common, so ask your provider to navigate you through what's right for you.

It's uncommon for "high risk" HPV to progress to cancer to begin with, and very rare indeed for an ASC-US Pap to turn out to involve invasive cancer. Cancer is a rare outcome of "high risk" HPV infection.

I hope this helps some. Read the posts on our HPV board and follow up with more questions if you like.

Take care,
Fredo

Post subject: Ascus pap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:01 am 

As I stated I'm negative for the HPV virus and only had one partner in my life, my husband of 32 years. So, I don't know whether to have the colpo or just follow-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:56 am 

Well, I'm having the colpo on Aug. 14th or today if there is a cancellation. I'll let you know.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]