ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: testing period for hcv
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:54 pm 

Hello, Everyone. i am new to this so if I am asking a q incorrectly, i apologize.

anyway, here goes.

I had a fairly risky sexual encounter in sept 05, not 06. protected sex with a pros. What a MORON I am! anyway after more worry and anxiety than anyone should have to endure, I have the following test results for hiv/hbv/hcv.

Hiv : neg antibody at 145 days and 325 days. Neg Pcr at 70 days.

Hbv : neg antibody at 195 days and 248 days. Surface antigen and core were tested.

Hcv : neg antibody at 195 days. Neg Riba at 105 days and 248 days. the screening test was a 1.0 score. Neg Hcv pcr by Rna, qualitative at 129 days.

is this enough tetsing for a neg result for hiv/hepB/HepC? I have learned my lesson and will never do anything so stupid again.

Again, I apologize if this is not the correct way to ask a q. if i am lucky enough to get a response, please reply to JDuffy@sbcapitalgroup.com.

Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:09 am 

Hello, and welcome to the boards.

Unfortunately, while we can help by offering general information and support about sexually transmitted infections, we aren't able to interpret and analyze individual test results. Have you spoken with your doctor or healthcare provider about these results? A medical professional would be the best person to ask about these.

It does sound like you've experienced a lot of anxiety about this. You may want to look through our Web site and learn more about STIs, tips for reducing risk, and ways to talk with healthcare providers and partners. http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_overview.cfm You'll also find information about testing recommendations as well. Sorry we can't offer anything more specific.

Good luck.

Ally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:31 pm 

Hi there -

While I am not pretending to be a doctor, I can give you some basic info regarding testing.

99.8% of folks will show up positive (develop antibodies) on a test at 3 months past exposure. The remaining .2% can take up to 6 months. It is recommended that anyone with a known hiv exposure test at the time of exposure, at 3 months, and then again at 6 months. If you aren't sure of someone's status, 3 months is usually fine.

Hep B, on average, will show up at about 4 weeks, but can take up to about 9 weeks, after exposure.

Hep C can take up to about 6-7 months.

Hep B is easily preventable with vaccine, and you should talk to your doc about that.

Hep C is very rarely sexually transmitted - less than 2% of the time.

You can check the CDC website for more info on this, and you should really follow Ally's advice and read through the info here and talk with your doc.

Jess

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]