ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:48 am 

Alright some of you out there may have read my story on the HPV forum. Here's a brief backround on me if you haven't:

In June I recieved my first abnormal pap which included mild dysplasia due to HPV. So they wanted to do a clopscopy. In August they did a clopscopy that confirmed my abnorm. pap results. My dr. also noticed an area that looked a bit different so they did an ECC. Those results came back fine and showed no signs of dysplasia. All-in-all I have Low levels (CIN 1) of high risk HPV. Ive never had any symptoms of any STIs nor have I had any problems with an abnormal menstration.

My problem/question:

1. I read that discharge after an EEC is normal for a few days. 2 days after my ECC I had a very small pusy looking discharge once during the day. I went a month just fine with no problems/no more discharge. Now a month later I had a very thin/watery pink/white discharge one day. The following 2 days after that I've had a clear discharge with a very small red blood clotlike center. Now mind you my period is coming in 1-2 wks. I also just started taking YAZ birthconrtol about 4 months ago. Is what I am experiencing possibly spotting due to my birthcontrol? Or could it be due to HPV or another STI. I haven't been sexually active for a little over 6 months and am on YAZ for moods/symptoms.

2. Would it be wise of me to get STI testing just to be sure since I was diagnosed with HPV about 3 months ago?

3. If I did have another STI with no symptoms, would it still show up on a test over 6 months later?

Any information, help, support anyone could offer would be great because I'm kinda freaking out. Im 25 yrs old, and never had any symptoms or problems in this area before. I also haven't been able to share anything with my family or friends yet, as I am still trying to figure this all out and process it still myself. Thanks again, I love this site, and the HPV message board has been great help to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:54 pm 

You just had a colposcopy a month ago - your cervix might still be a little irritated. If you continue to have discharge after your period - follow up with your doctor to make sure you don't have a vaginitis or something going on.

I'm a fan of cover all your bases so you don't have to worry. If you've never been tested for std's - why not get the whole shebang just so you know you don't have them? Sure beats wondering all the time! Since most std's don't present with very obvious symptoms the best way to know if you have one or not is thru testing. That way you stay on top of things and don't risk your future fertility.

Yeah I know - it sucks to go to the doctor and ask to get tested for them all but it sure beats finding out you have something after you've transmitted something to a partner or years down the road when you are going thru a fertility work up because you can't get pregnant.

betsy

Post subject: How much?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:29 pm 

Thanks so much! I will check up with my dr. if I am still having this issue after this period, since it's just around the corner (1-2) weeks. I think after finding out that I have HPV I would be comforted by knowing that I don't have anything else (hopefully)! Does anyone know appox. how much a full round of STI testing would cost? Or what to expect? I wouldn't need HIV testing, Ive had that done in the last 2 months (for my life insurance), and over the past 3 years (I worked at a plasma center, and stuck myself with a used needle) and have continued to test negative for it. Your input did ease my mind a bit, but I'm still kinda freaking out, I just don't know if I can handle much more and try to stay stress free. I'm trying keep the stress to a min. to help my immune system fight this HPV and if I found out I have more problems I don't think it'd help. It also doesn't help that starting the YAZ is fairly new, my body has really been through it all the past few months. I even started the Gardisil vacc. I realize my story isnt as bad as other people's so I'm lucky in that sense, but I've definitly learned how to take better care of my health!

Post subject: Another question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:55 pm 

Now that I've had this on my mind and have been reading other posts I've got more questions. About a year ago I had symptoms of a UTI a few days after having protected sex with a new partner. At the time I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection but within a few days after being with this person I had the symptoms of a UTI. One day I spent hrs. in the bathroom trying to go, when I could go it burned, and at one point I even peed blood. I felt abdominal pressure and was miserable all day. I talked over my symptoms with my mom who's an RN and a friend who had frequent UTI's and they both said I had a UTI. The next day I went to the dr. and gave them a sample, I was feeling slightly better (maybe 25% - not even close to 100%) I was confused how I could have gotten an infection while I was already on an antibiotic, and I shared that with my dr. but they kinda dismissed my concern. They upped my antibiotics that day to help me. The next day the dr. office called and told me they didn't detect a UTI but if I wasn't doing better that I should come in for more tests. Fortunatly by the next day I was feeling a TON better, and the day after that I was fine, so I never went back for any other tests. We all just attributed it to a UTI. Now that I'm having this discharge it got me to thinking. I was wondering if I could have mistaken those symptoms for a UTI when they were really for a STI? If I did contract an STI then could I still have that STI? Would it had affected me again by now? If I had contracted one a year ago would I have had symptoms by now? If I went and got a full round of STI tests would it show up from a year ago still? As you can see in the past hour since my last post I've gotten even more confused and I hope someone can understand my questions and give me some advice. I've decided that I'm going to get a full round of STI tests as soon as I can because I've pretty much freaked myself out and I need to ease my mind. I'm not currently sexually active, haven't been for 6 months and I don't plan on being in a long time (this stuff is too confusing). I don't need to worry about passing anything on, Ive just got enough to deal with concerning my own health right now. Could any of those symptoms have to do with my high risk HPV? I thought I understood HPV pretty well and I didn't think it showed any symptoms. If it did I didn't think the urinary problems like I had were one of them I just thought I'd ask. I'm sorry for being a rambling mess of questions right now! The UTI-like symptoms, my abnorm. pap, and now this discharge are the only sypmtoms/problems I have ever had with pelvic area and any info would be helpful to me. Again thanks and sorry this is so long, I've got a TON on my mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:46 am 

when we are sick sometime various kind of tests we have to done. My father and uncle are patient of diabetes. Oneday they did a test of sugar from two different centre and the result were also different.

Last edited by medical50 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How much?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:34 am 

SAM7107 wrote:
Thanks so much! I will check up with my dr. if I am still having this issue after this period, since it's just around the corner (1-2) weeks. I think after finding out that I have HPV I would be comforted by knowing that I don't have anything else (hopefully)! Does anyone know appox. how much a full round of STI testing would cost? Or what to expect? I wouldn't need HIV testing, Ive had that done in the last 2 months (for my life insurance), and over the past 3 years (I worked at a plasma center, and stuck myself with a used needle) and have continued to test negative for it. Your input did ease my mind a bit, but I'm still kinda freaking out, I just don't know if I can handle much more and try to stay stress free. I'm trying keep the stress to a min. to help my immune system fight this HPV and if I found out I have more problems I don't think it'd help. It also doesn't help that starting the YAZ is fairly new, my body has really been through it all the past few months. I even started the Gardisil vacc. I realize my story isnt as bad as other people's so I'm lucky in that sense, but I've definitly learned how to take better care of my health!

This is from one particular source online. You can read more here at this link. I'm sure that the price varies depending what state you live, and also what doctor you go to, but this is probably relatively close.

. How much do these tests cost?

Note: Prices fluctuate. The prices listed below were last updated in Fall 06.

Chlamydia $12.50

Herpes smear $10.00

Herpes Simplex Blood Test (to determine type I or II) $159.00.

Pap Smear $42.50*

Pap Smear with STI screening : $55.00*

* If DNA-related pap testing is needed the price will increase.

Gonorrhea - no charge

Syphilis - blood draw (usually not done, incidence very low in this population) sent to state lab - no charge

Hope this might help.

Milan
Garden Furniture

Post subject: It turned out ok
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:27 pm 

I went to the dr, told them my symptoms, and she looked at a sample under the microscope and told me I had a bacterial infection. I have BV (bacterial vaginosis) so atleast now I know, and they gave me meds to help clear it up. Thanks for everyones support, these past few months have been tough times for me!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]