ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: False Positives
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 pm 

Is there a such thing as false positives? Over the summer, my boyfriend and i both got tested for STD's. His came back negative for everything but mine came back positive for gonorrhea. Now i know for a fact that i was STD free before i started having sex with him adn i had not had sex with anyone else during our relationship, and he's mad at me because he claims that he hasnt had sex with anyone either. I come to the conclusion that he caught the infection and cleared it without telling me and passed it to me before it was clear all the way. I dont know if that is possible but gonorrhea cant spontanesouly generate. After ending things with him, i started heraring from some people that there is a such thing as a false positive..is this true?

Post subject: Re: False Positives
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Itsnotjustme,

I know it's frustrating for you to hear that STD tests can sometimes be inaccurate, especially after you and your partner have gone separate ways over this matter. The truth is that it could have happened either of the ways you described in your post.

The accuracy of tests vary. A false negative or false positive is possible with any test. Test accuracy depends on a variety of factors, including test sensitivity and specificity as well as the quality control measures used by the lab or health care provider processing the test. It may be helpful for you to to speak to your health care provider about the accuracy of the test he/she administered.

Here are other points to consider:

*Most men infected with gonorrhea exhibit symptoms, while most women are asymptomatic. Even when women do have symptoms, they can be mistaken for a bladder infection or other vaginal infection.

*In men, symptoms usually appear within 2 to 5 days after infection, with a possible range of 1 to 30 days.

*Although most women infected are asymptomatic (without symptoms), women who develop symptoms will do so within 10 days of infection.

*Since symptoms may not be present, the only way for a person who has been at risk for gonorrhea to tell whether they're infected is to be tested.

I hope this helps! :wink:

Dharma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:14 pm 

Hi,

My situation is pretty similar, and I really want to get as much info as I can.

I have been married for three years, been with my husband for 4.5 years. Since we started dating I did not have any incounter with another man.

I have been tested for STDs in 2004, 2005, and 2006 (when I was pregnant with our child), all results where negative.

Last week I had anual check up with my OB/GYN. I got a positive result for Chlamydia. I am freaking out, I know I did not do anything, I *think* my husband did not do anything (well, hope). The problem is that he is accusing me that I BROUGHT it to our relationship 4 years ago.

How accurate are the tests? I just had another test done yesterday, just to make sure that the positive was not false. My GYN says that three negative tests couldn't be wrong. My husband swears he has a clean consence (sp?) - I want to believe him, but I do not have any other explanation for my positive - either the test result was false or my husband cheated. He wants to take a lie detector test to prove that he has not been with anyone else since we got marries. And he is positive that my STD was "laying low" and was not detected on time. Is it posible?

Thank you so much, my mind is racing right now, and I do not know what to think.

- S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

sandy32 wrote:
And he is positive that my STD was "laying low" and was not detected on time. Is it possible?

Not likely. I'm going to have to agree with your doctor that having 3 negative tests over 4 years is about as good as it gets with a result. Nothing is ever 100% but 3 tests are a lot to be wrong. Wait and see what the retest says. Hopefully, it'll be negative.

We'll be here to help with more questions, okay?

Dharma

Post subject: Follow up
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:39 am 

Thanks for your quick answer.

I just got my results from the second test. It's NEGATIVE! I already called my doctor, and waiting for her reply, but at the same time I need a second opinion.

What do you think about situation like that - 2004 negative, 2005 negative, 2006 negative, 2007 positive, and then negative after a week. What are the odds.

Unfortunately, I cannot do the third test to make sure, because I followed my OB/GYN's directions, and me and my husband took antibiotics last night. She said just do it, and be done with it, it won't harm you, just clean your body, even if you do not have it.

Thanks again!

- S

Post subject: Re: Follow up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:55 am 
Site Admin

sandy32 wrote:
Thanks for your quick answer.

I just got my results from the second test. It's NEGATIVE! I already called my doctor, and waiting for her reply, but at the same time I need a second opinion.

What do you think about situation like that - 2004 negative, 2005 negative, 2006 negative, 2007 positive, and then negative after a week. What are the odds.

Unfortunately, I cannot do the third test to make sure, because I followed my OB/GYN's directions, and me and my husband took antibiotics last night. She said just do it, and be done with it, it won't harm you, just clean your body, even if you do not have it.

Thanks again!

- S

You're welcome! Based on all you've said here, I'd bet you had a false positive last week (that is, if I were a betting woman).

I'm glad it turned out well.

Dharma

Post subject: Thank you...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:32 am 

Thanks again...

I spoke to my doctor yesterday, and she confirmed that it was false positive. Unfortunately, my husband is very hurt and disappointed that I even considered a thought that he was cheating on me, and the situation at home is not that great right now. I hope, we will be ableto work through this, but ....

Thanks again for the answers and support.

Post subject: gonorrhea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:22 pm 

I have been with my boyfriend for two years. I have had three tests within the two years that all came back negative for all STDs. I just had my annual pap and gonorrhea came back positive. My boyfriend got tested and his was negative. Unfortunately, I already took the antibiotic and cannot get retested to see if it comes back negative. My boyfriend thinks I cheated on him but I haven't been with anyone else. Like someone said above, I never would have thought that he could have gotten it and cured himself of it after passing it on to me. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:54 am 

It can be a false positive but at this point there's no way to know since it's already been treated. Better to err on the side of caution and treat anyways.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 pm 

Thanks, Betsy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]