ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please help me.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:50 pm 

I have been suffering from molluscum since January. I went to the local health clinic in Winston-Salem NC, and one of the doctors put some form of acid on one of the bumps called TCA, but it had no effect. I've been doing a lot of research online about treatments for molluscum, and so my questions are first, where can i go to get rid of this? Secondly, what is the most successful procedure with little to no scarring? Lastly, how much would treatment be?

I don't mean to be such a hassle with these questions, but I'm so sick of having these bumps, and I'm ready to get rid of them so i can get back to my life.

Post subject: Re: Please help me.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Fulfillthedream,

It sounds like you're really frustrated with this and rightly so. Molluscum (MCV) can be difficult to deal with because lesions can last 2 weeks to 4 years just depending on the person who has it.

Most symptoms are self-resolving, but generally lesions are removed, because removal of lesions can reduce autoinoculation and transmission to others.

METHODS OF LESION REMOVAL:

Lesions can be removed surgically through curettage (scraping), cautery or cryotherapy.

OR

Treated with a chemical agent such as:

Podophyllin (puh-da-fuh-lin)

Cantharidin (kan-thar-id-in)

Phenol (fee-nal)

Silver nitrate

Trichloracetic (tri-klor-ah-see-tic) acid --TCA

Iodine

More recently antiviral medications cidofovir or imiquimod have been used. These drugs are applied directly onto the lesions.

Imiquimod is only FDA approved for the treatment of genital warts. Though it has not been approved for use with MCV, it has proven to be an effective treatment of MCV.

Cidofovir is only FDA approved for the treatment of of eye infections in in people living with AIDS. Though it has not been approved for use with MCV, it has proven to be an effective treatment of MCV.

Cimetidine (Tagamet) has been reported to be useful in the treatment of MCV. This also is not approved by the FDA for this use.

Take this information (and anything else promising you've found) to your doctor and ask which route he/she would recommend.

I don't mean to cop out on the cost of treatment but it does vary depending on where you go. It might be worth your time to call the Forsyth County Health Department to see if they can treat you on a sliding scale basis.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Dharma

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]