ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:51 pm 

I've been searching everywhere for an answer to my question and finally stumbled upon this site. I hope someone has information for me.

3 months after having unprotected sex one night (i know, completely idiotic and I've learned a ton from it and will NEVER do it again and anyone else reading this- PLEASE SPARE YOUR NERVES!) I went for my annual pap exam for fear of contracting an STD. While I was there I asked for a Chlamydia and gonorrhea test just to be thorough. I also asked about HIV but the woman performing my annual asked me a few questions like, "has he had sex with other men?" which he hasn't and a few other questions. Then seemed to brush off the HIV exam.
I went ahead with the other three exams and the results were all negative/normal.
So, here are my questions--

this was three months after the unprotected sex, should I believe that I am in fact without an STD... anddd, should I still be worried that I may have HIV? It has now been almost 9 months.

I really appreciate your time in reading this! I am on the verge of an anxiety attack.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Solosttobeme,

Welcome to our message boards! I'm glad you found us.

The three month test for chlamydia and gonorrhea should be indicative of your result (negative). So, that's great.

You can take an HIV test today and be able to rely on that result. Most people who have it have a positive test by 3 months. If it's negative at 9 months, you can move on and not worry about having been infected from that encounter 9 months ago.

A lot of newer doctors have been trained to give an HIV test upon request (and without questions) or make it a part of the yearly exam. Even though it's not probable that you got it, it sounds like you wanted to know for your own piece of mind.

You mentioned some anxiety. The best way to calm it is to get tested so you'll know and won't spend another minute worrying about it. Your county health department can probably do a test for free or at low cost.

We're here if you need us. :D

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:50 am 

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm already starting to feel better. :) I appreciate your taking the time to read and respond.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]