ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:54 am 

Hello, I have a persisitent worry that unfortunately I keep getting different, conflicting answers to.
I was hoping someone here could once and for all clear it up.
Is it possible for chlamydia, or gohnorrea to go away on it's own??
example: I get chlamydia or gohnorrea at 17. I never get tested, I just assume I must have it. I finally have courage to get tested 10 years later, and these tests come back Negative.
Could I have had the disease so many years ago, and now it just isn't in my system any longer, or just doesn't show up in tests??

I have many other questions unfortunately, but will start with this one.
Please help me get some relief, I even asked a nurse practitioner, during a recent exam and retesting, and she said that it would still show up if I had it no matter how long has passed. She was very rude and rushed me, gave me short quick answers, and also told me that if I had ever had PID, which I also asked her about, that I would know because it is very painful. This is untrue because I have been told by people who were diagnosed with PID that it was completely silent in them and they had no idea until diagnosis.

the reason I am so worried about all this is because I know that these things can cause Infertility, and I am so afraid that I am. Long story. :(
Thanks again for any help or comments.
God Bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:46 pm 

Gonorrhea and chlamydia are bacterial infections that require antibiotics to cure. They wouldn't go away on their own, nor would they remain silent for 10 years.

You might not know about PID at first, but eventually you would, and that wouldn't take 10 years either.

I don't know averages, but I would say a year and a half to 2 years TOPS you would be very sick if either of those went untreated.

If you are experiencing infertility, its not because of untreated gonorrhea or chlamydia.

Also, if your docs don't spend enough time with you, find another, but there isn't any need to keep retesting for stds unless you have a specific reason to think you have a new infection.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:47 am 

Thank you so much Jessi,
You are the first person to truly answer my questions completely. Wow , what a relief, thank you thank you thank you.
I do not have any reason to think I would be newly infected. The last STD test I had, was at least 6 mos, after my last partner, before my husband, who was also tested and negative at the same time I was.
I guess what probably is causing my possible infertility, would have to be an abortion I had at 17, that I beleve went very badly. I regret the abortion every day, since before I did it.

God Bless you,
Jessika :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:43 pm 

You are very welcome!

Most abortions don't cause infertility, and I'd hate for you to add infertility to your reasons why you regret the abortion. Again, if your doc isn't paying attention to this, you need to find a new one.

Good luck to you,
Jess

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]