ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: risky?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:04 am 

I was recently diagnosed with HPV, and now my mind is going a hundred miles an hour. I would never accuse the guy of it (bccause HPV is so hard to detect the source) but I'm pretty sure I know who gave it to me.

I was regularly having protected sex with a man. We did not use protection one time, over a year ago. If he were HIV positive would I have symptoms? What would they be? I have been checked for all STDs but I think I have to sign a waver to get HIV tested. I will get tested ASAP, but is it safe to assume, so I can rest at night, that I would have obvious symptoms or my gyno and doctors would have noticed irregularities in other tests?

Am I at high risk?

Post subject: Re: risky?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was recently diagnosed with HPV, and now my mind is going a hundred miles an hour. I would never accuse the guy of it (bccause HPV is so hard to detect the source) but I'm pretty sure I know who gave it to me.

Hi Sara24USC again! :D

The guy could have given it to you but be aware than any past aprtner could have given it to you as well. Most sexually active women have HPV and don't know it until it starts causing cell changes on the cervix. Think about all the women who have HPV and never had any abnormal cell growth or an abnormal Pap smear....

Quote:
If he were HIV positive would I have symptoms?
First, exposure doesn't necessarily equal infection. So, if on the off chance he was infected, it doesn't mean you are.

Quote:
What would they be?

Nothing specific at one year. When someone has HIV, it slowly depletes the immune system. Symptoms at one year would probably not be noticiable or very vague. Some epople report things like not being able to fight off colds, flus, bacterial and fungal infections. Again, a test is your best bet. :)

Quote:
Am I at high risk?
There's no way to tell that without knowing you and your partner's sexual histories. Unprotected intercourse always presents some risk unless we're 100% certain our partners are not infected. Based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound likely but an HIV test is the only way to give you a black or white on your question.

I hope this has been helpful, Sara. We'll all be here to answer other questions if you need us.

Take care,
Dharma

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:40 pm 

you have been most helpful! I'm placated as much as possible thanks to your concerns!

sara

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]